How much HP?

Pdandy

Nov 4, 2019
Nebraska
Here's my set up. I just bought it. The guy hadn't had it dyno'd since being built. Just a basic tune on a Diablo chip. He thinks there is still 50-60hp sitting out there if I could get it dyno'd tuned by someone that knows what they are doing.

347 stroker
Trickflow twisted wedge 170cc heads
B303 cam
1.72 roller rockers
SVE upper and lower intake
42lb injectors
Cold air intake
Bbk shorty headers
'93 ecu with Diablo sport chip
5 speed
373 Yukon gears and axles
Screenshot_20191103-175514.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Guess your own HP:

Guess your own HP:

Pretty cool thread. There were a few setups on there close to mine. I saw anywhere from 300- 420. I'll eventually get it dyno'd. Just curious for now. Thanks.

Pretty cool thread. There were a few setups on there close to mine. I saw anywhere from 300- 420. I'll eventually get it dyno'd. Just curious for now. Thanks.

Yepperz... Too many variables to account for them all but the thread gets you in the ball-park with real world numbers. We all know two different dynoes can be off... by a lot.

Well you have a good start. That meter would be my first change though.....now I'm wondering how you have 42# injectors with that meter....hmmm.

A different intake manifold, and larger MAF would make a huge difference in your combo. Those are holding you back....especially that MAF.

You could probably put a 94-95 GT 70mm MAF and adapter without a retune, but I’d prob go with one of the newer 80mm and get a retune for it. If you change the intake, do it all at same time.

I’d change the cam too, but overall the combo is very mismatched

Last edited:
I'd be thinking on the lower end of that 300-420 estimate (honestly with that meter, It may very well be under 300rwhp).
It's really a poorly thought out combination of parts.
B cam, stock meter 42 injectors, sve intake, then spending money on tuning?

Fox body Windsors are easy. Want a good rule of thumb for injector size that's easy to remember?

Move the decimal point to the right and pad 25 percent for NA cars but only 15 percent for boosted cars:

19lb injectors - 190 RWHP (familiar number?)
24lb " - 240 RWHP etc...

42 lb injectors of course, roughly 420 RWHP.

All you old heads can check those numbers against the charts you have bookmarked. :p

Now, I see folks run [huge] injectors all the time with no complaints. Just because an injector is larger than what is required by the engine combo, does [not] mean that it will run poorly. [This] is what tuning can do.

Someone was obviously putting money and work into this car before the OP bought it. The combo doesn't make sense because life got in the way and it needed to be put back together in running order and sold.

Hopefully you got a good deal. I haven't seen too much in this thread so far that I'd be concerned about. It looks to me like the OP is in a really great spot to make some CHEAP HP! :rock: :rock::rock::rock::rock:

Oh... One other thing comes to mind about this car.

It used to have a supercharger on it. You look around under that hood. There may still be some sign.

The blower kit was probably sold off separately.

I took My 1989 LX to the drag strip, Swapping injectors I had 36 injectors nthen tried 24 and the car pulled the best time with 19 pound injectors'
We put the car on the Dyno and sure enough it made 258 with 36, 288 with 24 and 312 with the stock 19 pound injectors. this was all with a JBA 76mm Mass air properly tuned for the injectors. Your rule is what I was going by when I set up my car but in real world found it don't nessasaryly work, trial and error is the only true way to know what you need!

While i'll agree that there is a good chance that car had a supercharger (although would they really go through the trouble of retuning it to run on a stock meter with 42's, when they could have just put 19's back in and been done with it?)

I don't think you can go by specs or engineering when picking injectors.
Real world and paper don't align.
275rwhp or less, 19's.
325rwhp or more 30's
I doubt anyone here could exceed 30's on a NA 302 based engine.