How much more boost before needing a retune

just4bob50

Apr 2, 2005
Pa.
i am currently running a 6lb. pulley on my powerdyne and had a very good tune done at York Dyno with an SCT chip. ( www.yorkdyno.com ) I have an areomotive adj. FPR with boost compensation. Do you guys think i can get away with adding a 9lb. pulley with out going back for a retune by dropping a little timing out and bumping up the fuel pressure. With the holidays coming up and a wife and 2 daughters to buy presents for i really cant afford to spend $200 dollars for a retune but i want more power. My best 1/4 mile is in my sig. and i wanted to better that before the track closes.

• Sponsors (?)

what is your timing at this time, and if you want to add three more lbs of boost drop 2 degrees. you should be o.k, that's what my dyno guy told me when i took mine to get it tuned. my timiming is a 10" with 7psi, i asked the same question and he told me that you don't really need to take the car for a retune, and to just to drop 2 degrees on the timing.

my base timing is at 12deg with the spout out. Plus my number 0 position on my chip takes another deg. out. During the summer i ran 10 deg. base and 0 on the chip. My #1 pos. adds a deg of timing from 1500 rpms up. With the cool weather im running 12deg. base and #1 pos. together. At 6000rpms I make 8lbs of boost, but i shift at 5600.

o.k i have mine at 10deg base and 0 on the chip. but i was told by the guy that did my tuning to put the chip in #1 only when i was using racing fuel. I don't think there should be a problem if you add 3lbs of boost and drop 2 degree from the timing, just dirve the car and see how it responds, just take it easy.

If they followed SCT's method of tuning, you'll be fine adding more boost - in fact, you can do anything that adds airflow (most anything) as long as the MAF and injectors stay in the current configuration and you are OK. That is as long as you don't peg the MAF or run out of injector.

I would suggest checking A/F just to be extra safe.