how much more of a difference will front drags springs make?

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
ok i bought a bunch of suspension crap, got the rear arms, springs and shocks on last week and it helped traction pretty nicely.

last few days i tried to get the fron drag springs in, first attempt i tried the backwards method of unbolting the front lower control arm from he k member. turned out to be a PITA and just didnt seem like it would be very easy, i went ahead and threw it back together before i got into a huge mess.

today me and a friend tried it again with a spring compressor, completely dissasembled the stuff, took off the tie rod, took the strut out, took the spindle and everything off the control arm so all we had was the control arm hanging, the stock spring came out easily but the front drag spring was just TOO TALL. we tried the spring compressor, they were the dumb ouside compressor and it would crompress it some but not enouht plus they would get it he way.

also we tried unbolting the arm and compressing the spring up that way, but the spring would compress some and then end up lifting the car off the jackstands, time was running out and i had places to go so we had to throw the stock spring back in, it fought us also, ended up having 3 guys, one prying, other 2 kicking and hammering it back into place.

only way i can see the drag spring going in is cutting 3 inches off the spring out or perhaps getting a special and nice compressor that will actually work.

but we did go ahead and put the new lake wood 90/10 struts in and it made a nice difference. front end comes up some and helped traction.

i am wondering how much the drag springs will help the front end come up.

i will probably have a shop do it for me i have started hating the spring work and there is the constan fear of the spring flying out and killing me. i dont really want to to cut the coils or anything but i also dont want the shop to rape me on the price.

so how much difference do the springs make when there are already 90/10s installed on the car??
and what are some other tricks to try and tackle this spring deal

later

• Sponsors (?)