How much power do you loose from both headers leaking?

Aliate X

May 9, 2005
Rockland NY
Just like the title says.

Both my headers are leaking, how much power am I loosing from this? Something that I should fix asap?

Its a 93 5.0 LX with full exhaust, AFPR, K&N, and some other stuff that arnt really related to the question.

• Sponsors (?)

I agree I dont think its a loss of any type of horsepower or torque as much as it is annoying. At least not a noticeable loss of power from the SOTP meter / not gonna lose a race bc of it.

Actually, my friend took the tailpipes of his car and lost a tenth in the eighth mile. (Dont have a quarter track close)

He put them back on and he was running the same times again. Sounds stupid but true. I know the temp effects stuff but it was on several time down there. He couldnt hit the same times he was running before.

Just a thought.

Another thing to think about is that an exhaust leak not only allows exhaust gases to escape, but draws fresh air in(before your o2 sensors). This can cause the car to run rich since the o2's are seeing more oxygen in the exhaust stream.

Aliate X said:
BBK ceramics, what does the type of header have anything to do at all with it leaking? as long as you keep any header tight, it will not leak with the right gasket.
Stick around here a while, you'll learn otherwise. Do a little research on Mac headers and pay particular attention to their individual flange design.....you'll see what I mean. ;)

yea my mac headers were leaking, and i thought it was gaskets so i changed them, and it still leaked, and i got new ones and found out that there was a ROT hole right before the flange on the header-Hpipe connection - it was disgusting, needless to say mac headers are not very durable lol, and before i knew that, i got a new set of mac headers, and thats what i put on lol im an a hole but aholes to ahole things lol later
Paul Perreca

Pardon the ignorance, but what does an exhaust leak sound like? I have just had a tapping sound start from my engine, and as it warms up it gets quieter. Is it a small leak, and heat expansion closes it up as I drive?