How Much Power Gain With This?

mustang88

Nov 2, 2004
how much power will i get from sticking 96 explorer heads and upper and lower intakes on my 88 gt? i guess there gt-40 or somthing. i have headers hpipe and flowmasters , will be doing mass air conversion this week so take it in consideration all that stuff.

the heads and intakes probaly wont be ported either, might stick a cam in if i get more money

• Sponsors (?)

well if you get heads do a cam! you will regret it if you don't. you will be there already might as well add some more power. a cam is only like 150.00-200.00 dollars. i suggest the ford E-Cam with that setup. with gt-40 heads, intake, e-cam, a full exhaust and hopfully a 75mm or 76mm mass air you are doing will get you around 250-270 whp i guessing. but remember with those heads you will need special headers. i suggest the ford racing headers. they work well with those heads. good luck!

i was told the 97 + explorers with gt-40 p heads are the only ones that need the special headers. that my 96 heads are gt-40 and will work with stock headers. i dont know ,, but thanks for the reply.

mustang88 said:
i was told the 97 + explorers with gt-40 p heads are the only ones that need the special headers. that my 96 heads are gt-40 and will work with stock headers. i dont know ,, but thanks for the reply.

just look at the heads before you buy them if you dont want the P heads then make sure by the front passenger side head bolt it will say GT in big letters for the standard gt40s and GTP in small letters on the P heads ....but yes the 96 models all that I have seen are the regular gt40s