How much psi in mickey thompson drag radials at the track?

swl987

May 6, 2004
Cleveland,Oh
I just got a pair of 275/40/17 Mickey Thompsons that I'm going to mount on my stock 8" bullit wheels. How much psi are you suppose to run in them when your racing? I wonder if I won't be getting all the tread on the track because the tire is a little to big for the wheel.

• Sponsors (?)

Depending on the temperature, I run between 12 and 17....I kinda play around until I find whats right for that night (or day) at the track...usually start at 17 or 16 and go down from there. I also go down by 2lbs until my 60fts get worse then go up until it maxes.

Get them wet and do a 4 to 5 second burnout. They do not need a lot. If your running street tires up front you may want to go around the water and than back up into the water so you do not track water up with you on your fronts. Good luck

Get them wet and do a 4 to 5 second burnout. They do not need a lot. If your running street tires up front you may want to go around the water and than back up into the water so you do not track water up with you on your fronts. Good luck

You back up into a water box at the end of the track so that won't be a problem. Thanks for the tip. When I go somewhere else I will do that.

I have had my best results running my et street radials at 16psi. So far my best 60' has been a 1.71 and I think I can get it down into the high 1.6's with some more practice. For a burnout, I usually spin them until I see smoke coming off the tires. 5-7 seconds if I had to guess.

I have had my best results running my et street radials at 16psi. So far my best 60' has been a 1.71 and I think I can get it down into the high 1.6's with some more practice. For a burnout, I usually spin them until I see smoke coming off the tires. 5-7 seconds if I had to guess.

How do you launch with these tires? Do I have to feather the clutch or can I just dump it at 3-4 thousand rpm?

How do you launch with these tires? Do I have to feather the clutch or can I just dump it at 3-4 thousand rpm?

That depends on how well the track is prepped. My local track is usually prepped pretty good and I don't really have to feather the clutch. I usually just drop it between 35-4000 rpm. A little tire spin is usually better than a bog out of the hole. You will just have to play with the launch rpm to see what works best for you.

That depends on how well the track is prepped. My local track is usually prepped pretty good and I don't really have to feather the clutch. I usually just drop it between 35-4000 rpm. A little tire spin is usually better than a bog out of the hole. You will just have to play with the launch rpm to see what works best for you.

Do you have your rear end beefed up or is it still stock?