how much should i pay for...

KyleEBK

Jan 27, 2008
How much should i expect to pay for a 'basically stock with a few modfications' fox body mustang with no rust or body damage and mileage under 100k? Im in the Midwest, I was going to look at one this weekend just wanted to know what you guys thought...

• Sponsors (?)

Hard to tell in the pics, but looks like the paint is flaking off the ground effects? New tacky chrome door handles, and hacked up rear bumper don't impress me. What's the interior like? If it's a 5-speed, the interior is nice, and the paint on the top half of the car will look good with a nice buff, I'd say it's worth (to me) somewhere in the $3,250 +/- area based on what I can see, and the assumptions I will make about the interior.

forget if it was auto or 5 speed ill have to ask maybe better to wait n save my money for soemthin with more mods, i dont have alot of mechanical knowledge so installing parts on the motor wouldnt be something i would do unless it was very easy i have around 4k $ now any suggestions of what i can expect to see for around that price or around 5000?

I sold a nice 92 GT 5 spd white with black int. for 5,000 back in 2001. I sold a 91 GT auto, white with grey int. and a full GT40 H/C/I car with exhaust for 3,800 in 2005. Both cars were equally as nice. I think the AOD killed the sale on that 91. People would just hang the phone up once they found out it was an auto.

GT's just aren't as desired. I don't know why, because I love them.

why is there such a difference in demand for automatic overdrive vs 5 speed?
a friend of mine who owns 3 mustangs wont comment he just says 'automatic, 5 speed , dont matter thats all u need'. I have a nissan 240sx and its 5 speed and its alot of fun to drive, is it jsut because stick is so much mroe fun then automatic? or is stick faster then auto? whats the deal, maybe i sound stupid. im coming from the car audio competition scene and trying to get into the fast car scene ...

also was going to lok at a 88 mustang gt today with 64k miles headers, flowmasters , h pipe, 4.10 gears, but i dont think the gears would work out for me how many rpms would it run at when going 70 mph?

Stock for stock, or mod for mod. The 5spd will always win. BUT....if you get a fully built AOD with a nice stall converter, now you have a race!!!!

5spds are still more fun to drive anyday of the week.

a friend of mine who owns 3 mustangs wont comment he just says 'automatic, 5 speed , dont matter thats all u need'. I have a nissan 240sx and its 5 speed and its alot of fun to drive, is it jsut because stick is so much mroe fun then automatic? or is stick faster then auto? whats the deal, maybe i sound stupid. im coming from the car audio competition scene and trying to get into the fast car scene ...

also was going to lok at a 88 mustang gt today with 64k miles headers, flowmasters , h pipe, 4.10 gears, but i dont think the gears would work out for me how many rpms would it run at when going 70 mph?

5-speeds are more fun, and with nearly stock motors, the 5-speed cars will typically run quite a bit quicker. That and the AOD's aren't a very tough tranny.

You may want to do some more research on these cars in general before purchasing anything. '87-'88's are just as nice as the '89-'93 models, but come with speed density instead of mass air, making it tough to start heavily modifying them without converting them to mass air first. Search through some threads on this forum; lots of good info on what to look for when buying your first 5.0 mustang. It's critical to check to be sure the car you are buying hasn't been wrecked, or badly abused. If I can find links to one of these threads, I'll post one for you.

Ok i will hold off a while on buying one, theres to much salt around here anyway would just have to store it immediately till spring. the more i wait the more money i will have. I was recently in a car accident that was not my fault my suv was totalled. I will do a lil more research I appreciate the help you guys have provided if anyone else has suggestions or comments please post

these torque boxes you speak of, anyone have any pictures of what they look like so i know what to look at? I think i will wait till i have 4500 -5000 to buy a mustang so im not starting out with a bunch of problems to fix and with some engine mods on it already since im not real mechanically inclined. i can do brakes and oil, plugs n such thats bout it tho

plan for the vehicle is cruiser/daily driver during spring summer n fall, not a big deal if it needs a repaint , but i dont want RUST. i expect to purchase another vehicle for winter since its so salty here in wisconsin, but enxt winter is far off

I read the other post you directed me too there was some useful information there, seems as tho i have come to the right place

The white mustang in the picture is AOD I have made up my mind that the fox must be a 5 speed so that one is a no go anyway

these torque boxes you speak of, anyone have any pictures of what they look like so i know what to look at? I think i will wait till i have 4500 -5000 to buy a mustang so im not starting out with a bunch of problems to fix and with some engine mods on it already since im not real mechanically inclined.

Torque boxes are simply the area on the unibody where the upper and lower control arms connect to. When one of these cars has really been pounded on, or launched on sticky tires they do have a tendency to start cracking, ripping, or pulling apart where the control arms bolt up. They can be reinforced, but it's best to do this before they are damaged as they are really hard/expensive to repair.

$4,000+ should buy you a pretty decent car, but you will have to sift through some overpriced junk to find one, especially in WI. I was checking out the local craigslist and spotted that car you were looking at. Where are you located?

Lower Torque Boxes on my car:

Stock - note the slight damage on the left side from a past owner thinking that was a good place to put a jackstand

This is a place where rust usually forms. These look pretty good.

DCP_0753.jpg

With reinforcement:

CopyofEdswork014.jpg

Upper Torque Box:

Sorry, but it's hard to get a good picture with everything installed. You can see the reinforcement plate hiding:

CopyofEdswork012.jpg

Attachments

• DCP_0753.jpg
    DCP_0753.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 60
  • CopyofEdswork014.jpg
    CopyofEdswork014.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 57
  • CopyofEdswork012.jpg
    CopyofEdswork012.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 66

In general 5-spd cars are slightly quicker than automatics. Not always the case with modded cars, but with your average car it is.

People want manuals, and it's tough to sell an automatic.

Usually when you sell an Automatic Mustang, this is what you hear.

"Hello, you selling a Mustang?"

"Yes"

"Is it 5-spd?"

"No, automatic"

"Ok thanks bye" <click>

It's not always the case with Mustangs too. A friend of mine was selling his automatic civic and would get the same thing. First thing people asked is if it was a stick and if it wasnt they were all set.

My Mustang is currently an AOD but i'm plannin on swapping it to a 5-spd. Anytime anyone looks in my car they alaways say "Aw, it's an automatic. Too bad it's not a stick"

One other thing..

Buy the car, not the mods.

I always find it funny when someone on here buys a car and immediately rattles off the dozens of mods it has, but then doesn't care that the power windows don't work, a lot of interior trim is crackes and missing and the fact that it has 170K miles.

Mods can always be added by you later. You need a good solid car underneath.