How much stress does a reverse manual v/body put on a stock bottom end?

jb1dsl

May 24, 2004
Marianna, Fl.
I have a stock bottom end (289) in my mustang and was wondering how much stress does a reverse manual valve body put on the motor. I have a T.C.I. r.m.v.b. and was thinking of putting it in my car while I had the tranny out. I have a v/b with a shift kit in it now, and I drive it mostly by shifting myself. Does this shifting put the same stress on the motor as a r.m.v.b.. I want to feel really hard shifts and instant. I have bought a 2300-2500 stall for the tranny. I just need to know which way to go before I put the tranny back in. I know that when you let off the gas it keeps a load on the motor instead of freeing it up like a regular valve body does. I only drive it for short distances maybe 60 miles max.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

It will put no more or less stress than any other transmission.

The engine is spinning the same as it always does and the reverse manual controls the tranny shift rather than the tranny control the shift automatically. No extra stress is involved what so ever.

My brother and his friend both have vehicles with reverse manuals that they drive on the street with no issues and they are driven HARD. One is a C4 behind a 418W and the other is Turbo 400 behind a 526 Caddy engine.

Most manual valvebodies only have forward motion engine braking in 1st gear. Art Carr has one with engine braking in all gears for the 4x4 guys. 2nd and high are usually free wheeling (ie..... just like pushing in the clutch and coasting).

jb1dsl said:
yeah but don't it keep a load on the motor when you left off the gas?

I modified my post while you were posting this question.

Not in every gear. Unless you buy the Art Carr full engine brakeing in every gear "Off Road" version. PN 20480 in their catalog for the C4.

two steps and trans brakes are hard on engines bottem ends especially when used together.

reverse valve bodys dont hurt anything. and in fact a shift kit is actually better on a transmissions clutchs than a trans without one. Basically when your car changes gears smoothly its using the clutchs to do so therefore wearing them (somewhat). When it shifts clean and crisp the clutchs wears less........and with this also improves performance! so you get the best of both worlds.

old mustangs rock. I've owned many..(mostly 65 models and mostly coupes)...but sold em all off. I was saving this one coupe for my oldest son but hard times caused me to sell it. So now I'm guessing he'll wind up with a 87-93 5.0 stang instead......