How much worse is gas milage on a GT compared to base model.

sadsquared

Oct 25, 2004
How much worse is gas milage on a GT compared to base model?

My parents gave me a budget of 20k to buy my new car. I know a GT will never be that low.... but that won't stop me from trying to get one. Like I say, "Go big or go home!" :p

Only thing that might be a big factor of me not getting GT is gas milage. My parents are really uptight about the gas prices down here in CA. So I need to know, is upgrading to GT going to make things alot worse on gas?

Thanks for the help

-geoff

• Sponsors (?)

From my experience, the V8 gets a lot worse gas mileage if you actually make regular use of the V8's power. :D But, isn't that the purpose of having a V8 under the hood? :rolleyes:

I guess if one never rev the V8 over 2K, and keep it in 5th 99% of the time, the mileage would be close to the V6. But I have no personal experience with that.

i'd rather have an 04gt than an 05 v6. search the papers fri when the ads come out. you can get an 04 gt leftover now for 18 grand.

however, general rule about gas milaege, if you have to ask, then you already know the answer.

anyone who tells you the difference is negligable is stretching the truth. Sure my fox body gt can get 27 on the highway, but do I ever ****ing drive it like that?? no way in hell, I average 13-16. with a newer mustang you may average a little more, but I know few people who are willing to stay out of the throttle just for a few more mpg's

RICKS said:
The difference in fuel mileage, no big deal........compared to the difference in INSURANCE. Have you even pondered that hurdle?

Good point on insurance!

Regarding gas mileage, I've never got less then 20-21 mpg with my 04, and that's spending a day at the track with 15-20 runs plus driving to and from.
Damn cheap car for going to the track.

So, if it costs you 500/yr more in gas by owning a GT, itsn't that worth the additional fun factor?

Parents, Budget, 20K?

Does not compute!

I had it easy as a kid in High School and in college, but they never dropped a check on me and said "here's $10K for a car" (inflation, it's been a couple of decades).

Anyhow, the GT is getting me 14-15mpg in mostly city driving. On the freeway it gets low to mid 20's, but I am driving 80mph on the freeway most of the time.

I don't race, and have left my days of needing the biggest baddest engine available behind me (not criticizing...I went through my fair share of all that for quite some time!). I purchased the V6 because I simply love the styling of the car. It's got "adequate" power for pulling out onto a busy road, merging, and passing when requried, and that's all I need.

Matter of fact, it's been a lot more fun chuckling at all the knuckleheads who have "challenged" me at most every stop light and two lane road I've been on. My reaction is a just a smile that says I've nothing to prove (very reminiscent of the T-bird commercials when they first came out).

As to gas mileage... The EPA estimate for the V6 is something like 19/25. I've been getting a lot closer to the 25 in combined city/highway driving...and that's traveling the D.C. beltway at 75-80 mph most days (anything less and the Lexus's as well as Hyundai Accents will run you down).

As stated in an earlier post, the difference in INSURANCE is really what you ought to be considering. No magical formula there, as each person's case is different.... all depends on your age, area you live in, driving record, credit record, etc. etc. And when doing comparisons, be sure to go apples-to-apples. Some companies may quote you a lower price for "full coverage", but not all full coverages are alike!!! Get the details of every offer and weigh the advantages of everything...not just the bottom line cost!!!

I had a 2001 V6 Vert for 3 years, now have a 2004 GT Vert about a year old. Didn't figure the mpg yet, but simple math based on the tank capacity. I track mileage everytime I fill up, which is pretty close to empty each time.

2001 V6 stick - about 320 miles between fillups
2004 V8 stick - about 260 miles between fillups

I don't baby the car, but I don't floor it at every light either. I accelerate hard on freeway onramps. Drove both cars in the same manner.

This is mostly from 15 mile work commutes. Long trips gave me a lot better mpg. I'll easily get 300 miles on a tank in the GT on a long trip on the freeway.

Hope this helps - YMMV :)

GT-03 said:
From my experience, the V8 gets a lot worse gas mileage if you actually make regular use of the V8's power. :D But, isn't that the purpose of having a V8 under the hood? :rolleyes:

I guess if one never rev the V8 over 2K, and keep it in 5th 99% of the time, the mileage would be close to the V6. But I have no personal experience with that.
I AGREE :notnice: :notnice: :( :(