How should I tune it?

trinity1988

Jan 16, 2011
Redmond, OR
HI,

New to the forum here. Read a lot about all the different ideas on tuning your ride. I don't know what to do. Just recently acquired a car that has a nice power plant (347, AFR heads, Holly Systemax U/L and more) under the hood. The previous owner never had it tuned, but mentioned that it would drive much better with it. The problem is now the nearest tuner is 4-6 hours away. Any recommendations? I would love to get a tweecer, but I have no clue how the whole thing works other than spark, gas, oil.

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks, I'll look into that some more. It looks really intimidating is the only reason why I haven't quite jumped on it yet. I'd love to just run down and get her all tuned, but I'm not looking forward to that 10 hour round trip drive.:notnice:

there is a guy on EECtuning (Decipha) that I heard was doing tunes via email (for a small fee) for the quarterhorse. I believe he also works at a tuning shop during the day, so he does have experience. That might do you justice until you get the grasp of tuning for yourself. Plus there is plenty of support (and opinions) on the site.

You could also get a mail order tune from Bob Kurgan (aka flyin hawaiin on Corral.net). I hear he is real good, but you have to use specific parts on your car (MAF that I know of). I think he uses the SCT chip.

If the guy comes recommended by more than his friends, make the drive, get the dyno -AND- street test ride, get a room for $100, have a beer, then drive home.

You'll easily spend $600 to purchase a tweecer/Quarterhorse, Wide band O2, software, etc. and you'll still "not know" what to do with the software until you invest several (aka Many) hours into understanding how to properly tune your ride... and even then, you won't know how much torque/HP you're making without the chassis dyno.

I chose the scenic route because this is not my primary vehicle...and despite spending serious coin on my EEC setup, I still fully intend to do a chassis dyno.

Regards,

-D

Has anyone had any luck with those AmericanMuscle Bama sct chips? I was just thinking about trying those to get me by for a while. This car has more power than I originally wanted, I'm just trying to get the driveability a little better, hence the quest for some tuning.

I agree, a dyno tune would the ultimate option, I just won't be able to get up there for at least 4 months (mountain passes are not Mustang friendly).