How slow are these times?

GTO Jimmy

Feb 9, 2009
Austin, TX
Took the stang to the track tonight, was definately slow LOL.
It is an 89 LX with an AOD, has Flowmaster dumps, ford racing wires, msd coil and distributer cap, timing bumped to 14degrees and a K&N cone filter. I know not very many mods but I pretty much just got the car.

Anyway the two runs I made looked like this:

Run 1
60ft- 2.37
330ft- 6.63
1/8th et- 10.16
1/8th mph- 69.58
1/4 et- 15.76
1/4 mph- 87.14

Run 2
60ft- 2.35
330ft- 6.62
1/8th et- 10.15
1/8th mph- 69.44
1/4 et- 15.76
1/4 mph- 86.97

Should the car be faster than this?

• Sponsors (?)

It should be. Mine right now runs 8.9 in the 1/8 with just a cobra intake and when it was stock I was able to get it to 9.4 you need some seat time and that auto is killing you. Mine is 5-speed. Also if your still on stock cats it could be time for and off road x or h or catted x or h and some underdrives. Gears for your auto would help a lot too.

It should be. Mine right now runs 8.9 in the 1/8 with just a cobra intake and when it was stock I was able to get it to 9.4 you need some seat time and that auto is killing you. Mine is 5-speed. Also if your still on stock cats it could be time for and off road x or h or catted x or h and some underdrives. Gears for your auto would help a lot too.
It aint seat time I need, this car really is just that slow. There was zero tire spin, other than that it is an auto just point and shoot lol.
Hmmmm.....you should be able to be a little faster than that. What RPM were you launching at?

First one I left off of idle, on the second one I stalled it up to 1400rpms and saw no difference. I believe the tranny is screwing me, shifting from 1st to 2nd at 3800rpms and 2nd to 3rd at 4000.

And i know the 2.73 gears aint helping squat!

wow ur tranny is shifting WAY TOO LOW. And just cuz its an auto doesnt mean its point and shoot, lol. You should have triend manually shifting it.

Nah this one is point and shoot lol, doing it in manual is no better it still shifts low.

My old 99 Z28 with a built tranny and 4000 stall wasnt exactly point and shoot, so i know what you mean. But this foxbody is definately point and shoot lol.

Before any mods to my 89 gt aod car it ran 14.9`s. You need to do the aod shuffle, hold it in 1st till 5k then go to drive then back to low to hold 2nd gear till 5k then back to drive for 3rd.
It needs gears.

It definately NOT supposed to be shifting at 3800/4000 RPMs. You should be closer to around 5000. Power in a stock 5.0 is gonna fall completely flat at about 5200. If your tranny is good and doesn't slip at all, I'd have a shift kit put in. But you definitely should not be shifting that low. With my AODE I did a good burnout and launched between 1600-1800, that's with 2.73s. Doing dead launches always smoked my tires

Those actually arent bad times for the mods really, for an AOD car anyway. My friend's LX Hatch went like 10.40's or so in the 1/8 back in the day, I know putting a gear in it dropped it down pretty far into the 9's. Another buddy's Notch, ex trooper car, AOD, stock and I mean STOCK other than UD Pulleys and a fiberglass hood only went 10.40's on motor, 8.90's on the jug lol.

A gear wakes an aod car up alotttttt. Also you should try the AOD shuffle, to get the shift points in a better spot.

first find out why that AOD isnt shifting right, with that trans popped in D it should be shifting around 5k or so. (at least my brother bone stocker does) i bet just that right there would knock a few tenths off and a gain a few MPH.

my car used to be and AOD and i ran even worse times at the track.

used to run 16.7-8 @ 84 MPH LOL. the AOD in mine shifted out of 1st at 4500 and 2nd at 4k.

a simple gear swap to 3.90 from the stockers and a t5 swap, a few minor bolt ons the car picked up ALOT, then it ran around 14 flat @ 99 mph.

i say the AOD is hurting you, get the trans shifting right (or do the 1d1 shuffle) and get a gear and i bet it will pick up alot.

Simple fix for the transmission. The TV cable is not adjusted correctly. That's the most common issue with AODs, and the main reason they got a really bad reputation. In order to adjust it right you need to put a gauge on the test port of the transmission and adjust the TV cable to get the right pressure. Or you could just tighten the cable until it shifts at the right spot, but even then you won't necessarily be getting the correct pressure and can prematurely wear out the clutch packs.

Here's instructions for adjusting the TV cable: Ford AOD Transmission

Something is wrong. That is not normal.

Do not worry about the E.T., but look at the MPH.

My stock '93 AOD (just flows and a pulley) ran 81-82 MPH in the 1/8th mile, which is 12-13 MPH slower than where you should be.