How To: Change Your Cluster to Blue L.E.D.s/Incandescent bulbs for $8

I thought you referenced that post back when I was looking for that thread that I started. Oh well. Anyways the stockers are white. The reason they show green is because of a thin green film in the gauge face. That's why they show green. The blue or red bulbs have to shine through the green film and that's why they don't get that bright and don't light up the needle. I've read other threads about people sanding down the backing to remove teh green layer but nobody posted pics on how that looked. That's why I wanted to go with the Mach/Bullitt gauge because it uses a white bulb and shows up white numbers so there is no green film which leads me to believe that a different color bulb would show brighter numbers and hopefully be able to see the needles.
BTW that's weird how your pic shows up on my page 3 but your page 2. I use Mozilla so that's the difference but I never thought about it. :)

• Sponsors (?)

So basically, what I've read is there's no perfect medium here.

If you get ultra-bright LED's behind the cluster and HVAC, it breaks through the green tint on the overlay, but you lose all the red on your gauges and HVAC controls...

You could just buy a MAC White Face overlay for only $40.00, but the numbers will be more white than blue (Even though they are blue during the day when not lit :rolleyes: ) and you have to remove the needles...

You could attempt to sand the green tint off the back of the stock overlay and tint it blue yourself (leaving the red painted marks) so that the original clear bulbs could be used - but you still have to remove the needles...

What is wrong with Ford... whoever thought up minty-green/aqua colored dash lights needs to be kicked in the nuts, twice, for every Mustang produced with this color cluster. Every other car manufacturer out there has been doing blue or red since the late 90's. Well I am determined to have brilliant, blue dash lights that match my Autometer Cobalt guages, w/OUT giving up the red tint of my cluster and HVAC and without buying any blue lights!! Stay tuned....

Just wanted to say thanks for the thread and that I'm installing myself some Tri-Led's tonight. I will take some pics after I'm done, I just hope I can express the gauges in the pics.

No prob man! Glad this thread came of use to so many! I'm going to try to take my tri-pod out tonight when it gets dark in an attempt to capture the gauges. THe video I think does it the best though. :nice:

This is how it looks on mine :D
Note it's a little less bright in real life than on the picture.

93054.jpg

76409.jpg

I live in NJ. Let's use context clues KT
Owned by Ambo! :rlaugh:

Anyways, I was looking through this thread and there are some pretty nice looking setups in here :nice:

My Cobra has the indiglow type guages in kind of a light greenish color. They are white during the day.

Not the greatest pics of them but you can see them in these:

View attachment 390571

View attachment 390572