How to clean engine bay?

First off, let me just say that I live at the beach...and I work all of 50 feet from the sand. My car gets ocean spray constantly, and whenever I pop the hood I can just wipe sand off of things.

For as long as I can remember, I've been spraying down my engine w/ degreaser (while the alternator was covered)...and then hosing it down and waiting for it to all dry up before ever cranking the car again.

Are there any other techniques that I should be using that would be 'safer' for my engine. I want to keep everything clean from all of the filfthy sand and dirt so that they don't interfere with the way my car performs.

any advise or examples of what you guys generally do would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Picture1458.jpg
[/IMG] My engine never gets really dirty, only dusty. I just use an air hose and a paint
brush and sometimes a rag for the bad spots. Degreaser really makes a mess.

Do you guys get worried about water getting down in the spar plugs holes....that would cause bad misfires? It looks like the rubber seals OK...but do you guys worry about this.??

Thanks guys...a lot of good advice in these replies...I have an air compressor but I need to buy an attachment hose that will allow me to spray air in the engine bay (I ony use the thing for putting air in tires)...I like the 'steamcleaner' idea, but I thought those things were expensive???...and I've always used armorall tire shine on the black pieces, but I still never get my engine looking as good as some of the ones posted...must take talent