How to clean fuel injectors?

Mavrick

Founding Member
Aug 29, 2002
Collingwood, ON
I have the injectors out of the intake right now, and before i start putting things back together i'd like to clean the injectors, as i've heard of this being done before. Should i soke the tips of the injectors in something, or what?

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

Call around to various shops/automotive machine shops in your area. Find one that has an injector cleaner/test stand. Not only will they properly cleaned, but you will be able to identify any injectors(s) that aren't up to snuff.

The best way is to use the factory kit. It has a canister with fuel and a detergent. You have to disable your fuel pump and the kit taps into the fuel rail and you basically run it till it uses up what is in side the canister. That's the only way I know to truly clean the injectors.

Autobody's method works as good as anything if the injectors are on the car. Otherwise, I am with Andy all the way. A stand-alone machine will clean them (often with chemicals or sound) and then they flow them, which is the most important part if you ask me.

However Mav, I would call around and get a cost OTD. Otherwise, it can be cost prohibitive to do this vs just getting new ones......... (esp if you find a bad or weak one or two). Dont forget pintle cap and o-ring costs......

Good luck.

DMAN302 said:
I did stop by a local fuel injection specialty shop..they cleaned and flow tested the injectors for 5$ each.

Nice work Derek!

Guys, is it me or was that done very cheapily? :shrug:

it does sound cheap...but it really depends on the shop and their overhead. the guy who did all the machine work on my motor has zero overhead because his shop is paid for and all his machines are paid for and he does it on his spare time. so maybe that was the deal with this place

HISSIN50 said:
Nice work Derek!

Guys, is it me or was that done very cheapily? :shrug:

I dunno... Mine cost me a whopping $8.00 per injector. That fee included the shipping. I couldn't find one in town. :p I got flow sheets for each injector as well.

Jt I was surprised too but that's standard $$ for the shop I used...even got to watch the injectors in action via the fancy little machine they had there. I was very nervous purchasing used injectors (24pounders for 90$) so I was all smiles when they performed all within 2% of each other and all within spec. If price is reasonable I highly recomend you get them looked at when out of the engin.

DMAN302 said:
Jt I was surprised too but that's standard $$ for the shop I used...

I think (I could be wrong) that the point Hiss was trying to make with that last post was that the tiny expense totally make having them cleaned that way, makes it a GOOD thing. He was being fecetious.

No guys, that really is cheaper than what I had seen (I was not being facetious).

Places around here want close to 100 bucks to clean 8 injectors. And I once looked real briefly online and was seeing prices of like 80-100 bucks (plus shipping). I had not looked real hard but was just trying to get an idea.....

Now I know better prices are out there.

Derek, be careful - if you said I was being feces-tious, that would be gross. :D