How to clean Used Explorer Intake?

Nottoofast50

Founding Member
Dec 9, 2000
Cali
How do I clean the used exploer intake I got? I was going to scrub it down with a scotchpad and some dawn or something and then paint it with some hi temp engine paint I got. Is t here any part that I shouldn't paint? Is it ok to paint inside the runners and stuff too or should i cover this up ? Any better way to do this? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

when we rebuilt my motor my buddy, who is opening his own garage, bought a parts washer. Besides coming in handy for a bunch of other things it did a good job cleaning my upper and lower intakes... 60 bucks plus fluid (25 or so) on sale at northern. I'm not recommending you go out and buy a parts washer just for your intake, but it is a handy machine to have around...

That was my intake that got sandblasted. It came out better, but it still looked used, so I am painting mine as we speak. If you just want a clean surface, then yes, a brillo pad and some ajax will clean it up. As far as paint, I'd stay away from the runners if I were you, never know what could happen. I'd mask it off just to be sure...