how to crank engine from under the hood for my 1995 GT

rockyracoon

10 Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
margate NJ
hello to all,
im trying to figure out why my motor in my 1995 GT will not start so I would like to check for spark as I know im getting fuel.

it seems impossible to get to the starter solenoid so im wondering which wires under the hood to jump.

I wish my car had the solenoid mounted on the fender like the older fox bodies. This no start condition started after completing a GT-40 upper and lower swap. I have checked and double checked the dizzy. The rotor is pointing at around 11:00 with number one at TDC on the compression stroke and the timing marks are lined up to TDC but so far she wont start. I did have the dizzy 180 degrees off for a couple of tries, could I have fouled the plugs ? I would think that after a couple days they would be dried enough to start.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

If you press the accelerator to the floor when you attempt to start, it will avoid adding fuel and help blow the spark plugs clean of fuel (it's 'flood clear' mode).
There's really no good way to set the timing accurately without a timing light, but I don't think a few cranks 180 degrees out would irreparably foul them.

As far as I know, I think you could jump a wire to the blade-connector on the starter solenoid which is on top of the starter itself to crank from the bay. I don't think there's any easy way to do it otherwise - or an exposed connector to jump. The easiest thing honestly is to have a friend / roommate / girlfriend / spouse / neighbor / neighborhood kid crank it for you while you check on things. Gives you an excuse to make a new friend anyways, or to annoy the wife. My kids have been assisting since they were in diapers. :)