it doe snot
Founding Member
Jan 26, 1999
the people's republic of massachusetts
View attachment 370016

View attachment 370019

View attachment 370021

View attachment 370023

Sorry about the crappy pics but my cell phone camera sucks and I suck at making photos bigger.

EDIT.. I am a idiot.... I had the resolution and quality turned down on the camera I will take new pics soon

Well as you can see this shifter has the shift stops all the way in and guess what happened.. the shift forks bent and caused so much damage that I installed a new unit in this 04 mach 1

I strongly suggest removal of shift stops. This shifter I got to keep for my next mustang, so I cut the stops out of them since they got bent from constant banging every time the guy that owned this thing powershifted, so I could not remove them. The guy made it worse by using the stock handle on the shifter, the bolt was hitting the base of the shift handle and this compounded the problem.

HOPEFULLY the guy that traded this car in will not do the same thing to the cobra he bought.

BTW I also have a question, the shifter I inherited looks like it's a pro 5.0 but instead of saying PRO-5.0 on the base it just says T-3650. Anybody know what kind of shifter it is.

• Sponsors (?)

MGW is the only company that was nice enough to make there customers aware of the issue with running the supplied shift stops in their shifter if installed on a 3650. I first bought a Tri ax & used there shiftstops, unaware of internal shift stops in the 3650, because Steeda doesnt mention this.

Well after I had issues with my Tri ax, I purchased an MGW, & learned about this issue, because MGW states clearly in their instructions not to use the shiftstops.

I hope I didnt mess up my tranny too bad from the Tri ax because I do have slight issues with it not wanting to go into 1st gear sometimes unless I slightly release the clutch a little.

Does your shifter base look like this? This is the Pro 5.0 3650 base.

View attachment 369990

yep that is it exactly

I thought they said PRO 5.0 on it? Well it will be making it's way onto my next mustang. I was going to buy a 08 GT but I am buying a house so I canceled my order.. I will probably be looking for a nice 02-03 car in the next few months.

even a T-45 should not use the shift stops. ONLY a T-5 should use a properly adjusted stop.

Since the T-45 uses the same shifter as a T-5 you have to keep making them with stops but WHY is a T-3650 shifter built with stops???? This is irresponsible, now they added warning to prevent them from being sued but why not just remove them from the design.

The instructions that came with my triax warned to not use the stops :shrug:

same here, the Triax tells you not to use the shift stops on the 3650. however i used them on mine, i just adjusted them to where if you super-throw the shifter you get this nice ******* from the shifter base hitting the stop. no issues for 2 years, it was my first mod.

Its only the Tremec 3650 that u arent supposed to use the shiftstops on...thats weird becauser my Tri Ax instructions didnt say anything about not using the shift stops, it just said to make sure you adjust them correctly??? Maybe mine was an older version??:shrug:

Its only the Tremec 3650 that u arent supposed to use the shiftstops on...thats weird becauser my Tri Ax instructions didnt say anything about not using the shift stops, it just said to make sure you adjust them correctly??? Maybe mine was an older version??:shrug:

The tremec built T-45's in our cars (mid 1997 model year) have internal stops. I am trying to find out about the older units now.. The way these transmissions are built you will not need them..

If you really do want to use them on a T-45 then install the shifter and put the car in gear and measure so there is a .10 gap between the stop and the contact point of the shifter with you pushing the shifter into gear. do this again for the bottom row of gears (2nd and 4th)

yeah I have the 3650 with the MGW short throw and my manual warned against it. I took out the stops even though some guys said they still used them. It just scared me so I didn't use them. I don't beat on my car too bad anyway.

Hmm, the pro 5.0 instructions just told me to make sure that when the shifter was pressed all the way forward and help backwards, in all gears, that it had a little clearance from the stops. I put the shifter on @ about 10-13K miles...64K now and 0 problems. So apparently I did it right :D You will love the pro 5.0...and I suggest you put a steeda handle on it. IMO absolute PERFECTION. I have 0 desire to replace mine with anything else :nice:

Hmm, the pro 5.0 instructions just told me to make sure that when the shifter was pressed all the way forward and help backwards, in all gears, that it had a little clearance from the stops. I put the shifter on @ about 10-13K miles...64K now and 0 problems. So apparently I did it right :D You will love the pro 5.0...and I suggest you put a steeda handle on it. IMO absolute PERFECTION. I have 0 desire to replace mine with anything else :nice:

Dittos - I take care of my car, don't beat the snot out of it and at 62K (with the shifter going in at about 12K), it's the toughest shifter around. I've also swapped out with the Tri-Ax handle and that makes a good combo.

Dittos - I take care of my car, don't beat the snot out of it and at 62K (with the shifter going in at about 12K), it's the toughest shifter around. I've also swapped out with the Tri-Ax handle and that makes a good combo.

Haha if you don't beat the snot outa it wheres the fun?? :D I've broken plenty of crap on my car from just beating on it...lol...and somehow I'm on stock clutch/transmission (I have a feeling neither will last though :p) I like the Pro5.0 alot, but the reach is too much IMO; MGW = :nice:

^Did you throw a steeda handle on it? Stock handle sucks...reach is very far. Steeda handle almost feels like 2nd was before...I can hit 5th without even moving from my seat now. :nice:

Nah, this was in my friends car (Blown '97 cobra w/ 3650 swap). He did, however, cut/fab his own handle which is insanely short now hahaha...reach is better, he loves it but I can't deal with it :nice: