how to drop the exhaust on a 95 vert

All,

This sounds like it should be an easy thing to accomplish I have a 95 GT vert and I cannot get the exhaust bolts to break loose on the back of the headers.

I think the problem is that I can't get straight on the bolts. Part of this is from a support brace that is under the car. I started to take that off, but I snapped a bolt. I don't want to pull it and end up snapping all of the bolts that hold it on.

Any advice on this one?

Thanks

Keith

• Sponsors (?)

If you can't get the socket on the bolt all the way you are risking doing more damage than good. Make sure you have the appropriate uniwiggle and socket length to get on the nut. All of the other recommendations are good too. You might want to heat the nut with a small torch. It will cause the nut to expand around the stud, and loosen it. If the braces are in the way, then remove them.

Kurt

Are you planning on replacing the headers and midpipe? When I did mine i ended up cutting 1/2 way through the bolts with a dremel and then just snapping them off. Not the most ideal way to do it but since I was replacing both the mid pipe and headers it didn't matter.

I am replacing the engine and plan to put the cats back on. These have to be the biggest pain in the A-- I have encountered while doing this engine swap.

How do you get a socket on the top bolt?

I am trying to get the transmission unbolted with the cats still on and pull the engine and then deal with the bolts that way. This will make it easier and I will be able to get a torch in there and not worry about starting a fire with it.

Any words of advice on getting the auto trans bolts unbolted?

Thanks,

Keith

You may have better luck pulling the engine and trans together. I tried for about 10 minutes trying to get the trans unbolted and decided it was easier to pull it all. Once out it allows you to change out all the leaky seals and put in a new filter with much easier access. Also it keeps you from having to fight dropping the engine back in and trying to line it up with the trans which is a major pita. As for the H pipe bolts, I ended up using a torch and alot of swearing to get that thing unbolted from the headers.

I've pulled an Aod before, and it's sigifigantly harder than a T5. If you decide to pull the transmission seperately from the engine, a transmission jack is a great investment. I got one off ebay for $80 shipped. The hardest part is rotating the engine around to get all 4 converter bolts.

Kurt