How To Find A Good Quality Paint Shop

• Sponsors (?)

mustang in drive.jpg

3,500 hundred bucks at a local shop in Lincoln park N.J. but I didn't change the color and it's single stage like the original paint. although the paint was shot the body required almost nothing. I was very happy with the results but it's no show car. I just couldn't see spending 6 or 8 thousand dollars, you can buy a real nice fox for that much.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Since we're showing off paint... But really man just go talk to a few shops. Go with the one that gives you the best feeling, you'll know. Go w the guy that's not trying to rush you into anything, you know the slickdick salesman type. Asking em questions and let em explain what they'll do and for how much. Not trying to sound be off handed or anything but IMO Hispanics shoot a mean paint gun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 90
Thankfully I don't look any further than my own mirror when I need paint work done. Been doing my own paint work for more than 30 years.
I used to only do it for myself, then word got out and I started doing parts and cars for family and friends, then it got out of control and became a full time "part time" hobby. I didn't enjoy doing it anymore so I ended up shutting it down.
Now I just keep up with my own cars again, but occasionally I'll do a Mustang for a friend. These days my buddy price for a complete paint job starts at 5K.

Reactions: 1 user
Thankfully I don't look any further than my own mirror when I need paint work done. Been doing my own paint work for more than 30 years.
I used to only do it for myself, then word got out and I started doing parts and cars for family and friends, then it got out of control and became a full time "part time" hobby. I didn't enjoy doing it anymore so I ended up shutting it down.
Now I just keep up with my own cars again, but occasionally I'll do a Mustang for a friend. These days my buddy price for a complete paint job starts at 5K.

@Onefine88 For some of the newbs, can you give some of the things to look out for and avoid.

The best general advice I can give is the best way to find a reputable shop, and that is "always" by word of mouth. If you're like me you attend alot of shows and cruise ins. You will typically see alot of nice work. Ask where it was done and how thorough it was done, not how much. There are alot of great painters in my area of town with great reputations. The best ones are the most expensive and rightfully so. It is hard work and is a specialty. A good shop stays busy with Classic cars, musclecars, hotrods, ect because enthusiast will seek out the good shops. If the shop is full of run of the mill daily drivers it is typically a discount 'knock it out" and "move to the next one" shop. I would avoid those, "even if they are cheaper".
Reputation is more important than how much $. You will pay for a good thorough paint job.

The best general advice I can give is the best way to find a reputable shop, and that is "always" by word of mouth. If you're like me you attend alot of shows and cruise ins. You will typically see alot of nice work. Ask where it was done and how thorough it was done, not how much. There are alot of great painters in my area of town with great reputations. The best ones are the most expensive and rightfully so. It is hard work and is a specialty. A good shop stays busy with Classic cars, musclecars, hotrods, ect because enthusiast will seek out the good shops. If the shop is full of run of the mill daily drivers it is typically a discount 'knock it out" and "move to the next one" shop. I would avoid those, "even if they are cheaper".
Reputation is more important than how much $. You will pay for a good thorough paint job.

good one