How to get window run channel weatherstrip in on a power window?

opihinalu

Feb 10, 2021
Florida
I am installing window run channel weatherstrip on my 86 GT and I have made it to the point where the weatherstrip goes down into the door panel and you have to connect it to the bracket. There is barely and room to get in there with the window motor in the way. Any suggestions on how to do this?

• Sponsors(?)

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
I used a paint stirring stick to push it in. Down by the motor if it is lined up the window itself should push it in all the way. An alternative would be remove the window motor. It is only 3 bolts.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

opihinalu

Feb 10, 2021
Florida
I used a paint stirring stick to push it in. Down by the motor if it is lined up the window itself should push it in all the way. An alternative would be remove the window motor. It is only 3 bolts.
So your saying I should use a stirring stick or a stick of some kind to line up the weatherstrip with the window then roll the window up and it should seal the weatherstrip?

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
I used a paint stirring stick to push the channel all the way in all the way around. It was the only way I could get it seated.

Reactions: 1 user

Bree

Jan 12, 2021
Zanesville Ohio
I'm wondering, what if one simply cut off the "excess". I have to do this same job, and I am not looking forward to taking half the door apart, most specificaly taking the panel off. I hate trying to get those plastic push things to let go without breaking them off, or sometimes, they come out of the panel and damage it in the process.

Wayne Waldrep

Before I post a pic, do you have one of yours?
15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
I agree with @Mstng93SSP , this was a pretty simple replacement. The window motor is simple to remove and put back. The LMR video shows every single step. Follow that and it's easy. Post your thoughts after you do it.