How to get window run channel weatherstrip in on a power window?

opihinalu

Feb 10, 2021
Florida
I am installing window run channel weatherstrip on my 86 GT and I have made it to the point where the weatherstrip goes down into the door panel and you have to connect it to the bracket. There is barely and room to get in there with the window motor in the way. Any suggestions on how to do this?

• Sponsors (?)

I used a paint stirring stick to push it in. Down by the motor if it is lined up the window itself should push it in all the way. An alternative would be remove the window motor. It is only 3 bolts.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I used a paint stirring stick to push it in. Down by the motor if it is lined up the window itself should push it in all the way. An alternative would be remove the window motor. It is only 3 bolts.
So your saying I should use a stirring stick or a stick of some kind to line up the weatherstrip with the window then roll the window up and it should seal the weatherstrip?

I'm wondering, what if one simply cut off the "excess". I have to do this same job, and I am not looking forward to taking half the door apart, most specificaly taking the panel off. I hate trying to get those plastic push things to let go without breaking them off, or sometimes, they come out of the panel and damage it in the process.

I agree with @Mstng93SSP , this was a pretty simple replacement. The window motor is simple to remove and put back. The LMR video shows every single step. Follow that and it's easy. Post your thoughts after you do it.

Here is my driver's side done.

20210311_184129.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
So your saying I should use a stirring stick or a stick of some kind to line up the weatherstrip with the window then roll the window up and it should seal the weatherstrip?
No no. You use the stir stick to push the wthr strp back into the channel. I just did the pass side on my 92LX. Its not super tough but it kinda blows. Er at least my old shoulder didnt care for it. I used a piece of round rod to push the front end into the channel. Its certainly tight. The first couple times i had gaps in the back corner and a small spot in front. Even w new motors i still had to push it up the last bit the first dozen times. I suspect when it gets hot outside itll finally relax. Couple things im gna do for the driver side. I know most ppl dont have access to some “purple murple”(slick stuff we use in the plant for installing rubber bits) so maybe lil soap n water. I saw someone suggest silicone spray and even lith grease(huge no no). Sillycone might help it slip in better but its gna stay slick. Once the soap n water dries its gna stay where ya put it. The new strip is currently being held in a U shape with about 100 tywraps since it comes rolled flat. Finally n this is tough, in the plant we keep bits like this under a heat lamp/in an oven till the operator installs it, so if ya can warm it up some how. Heat lamp, an old halogen flood lamp. Hell put that b!%h in front of the heat register. Or wait till a hot ass august day Then work it work it work it. Drive that bugger ALL the way up, push it the rest of that way if you hv to and snug up the guide rod(lith grease here only). Guide rod is big. Helps keep the glass from rocking back n getting stuck. Oh oh and i saw someone say they were gna cut the bottom ends back. Yeah dont do that. The back is negligible and the front should jus barely be rubbing the glass(2 bolts- 1 above n 1 below th window motor). Hope this helps … someone. Cheers!

Yes you can cram the weatherstrip down the channel but
The best way is to remove the glass first
Use weatherstrip adhesive find the black stuff not the natural color stuff
Patience as the glue dries blue painters tape to hold it in position

3M “Yellow Death” weatherstrip adhesive comes in black. It should outlast the car and the weatherstripping,

Reactions: 1 users
I would not recommend using any adhesive for these as it isn’t needed and changing it again is a night mare if you do .

Windex in the channel and on the rubber and working it in like mentioned above and it’s golden .

Reactions: 1 user
I followed the LMR video and i admit it was a bit tricky. First window took over an hour, but once i figured out the tricks, i did the 2nd window in 15 mins.

Need a paint stick, and some silicone lubricant spray to spray in the channel to help the window up and down. The first time it's ultra sticky so the window gets stuck partway up.

I bought my run channels from LMR and they were the Daniel Carpenter brand. Installed, they look fine. I have no complaints

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user