How To-Install Fox Body Smog Pump ***Lots Of Pics***

94GTCoupe

10 Year Member
May 7, 2006
CA
ok,my smog pump was making so much noise that people were asking me if my engine was on its way out:nonono:
i checked autozone.
they wanted $129+ tax for a 94-95 mustang gt pump :eek: (Cardone #32-292)
the fox body pump was only $79+ tax:) (Cardone #32-291)

there is no differance between the two except for the air discharge location (more on that later)but it fit with no problem:nice:

****things needed****
1-fox body smog pump,Cardone #32-291.
1-used fox body Smog Pump discharge elbow.(junk yard,under $2.any 93 and earlier 5.0 Mustang i think.)
1-jack
2-jack stands
1-3/8 drive ratchet
1-short 3/8 drive extension
1-3/8 drive,1/2 deep socket
1-3/8 drive,1/2 socket
1-3/8 drive small breaker bar w/small extension.(for belt tensioner)
1-slotted screwdriver
1-5/16 wrench
1-1/4 ratchet
1-10mm,1/4 drive socket

Removal

1.raise front end of car(i was doing something in addition to the pump,thats why its totally off the ground),set on jack stands.
sp1.jpg

2.before removing belt,from under car,loosen three 5/16 Smog Pump(SP) pulley bolts.do not remove yet!
sp2.jpg

3.place small breaker bar w/ tiny extension into belt tensioner.
sp3.jpg

sp4.jpg

4.push to the right to release tension on the belt.
sp5.jpg

5.while holding breaker bar down,with your free hand,take belt off Alt pulley.SLOWLY allow the breaker bar to move to the left til it stops.
sp6.jpg

Under Car.

6.with slotted screwdriver,loosen hose clamp and remove hose from discharge tube.
sp7.jpg

sp8.jpg

7.with your 1/2 socket and small extension,loosen but dont remove lower bolt holding SP to the bracket.
sp9.jpg

8.now remove the Three 5/16 bolts holding the SP pulley to the SP,set pulley and bolts aside.
sp10.jpg

9.with your 1/2 deep socket,loosen and remove the long upper bolt.
sp11.jpg

10.with one hand holding the SP,remove the lower bolt.remove the SP from the car.(dont drop it on your head:))
sp12.jpg

sp13.jpg

Install.

11.here are the two pumps side by side.the one on the top is the fox body pump,the bottom is the 94-95 pump.
sp14.jpg

the only differance is the location of the discharge tube.
the 94-95 pump has it pressed into the rear cover.
sp16.jpg

the fox body pump uses a detachable elbow.i found this one at the JY for $1.50.
i assume any 93 and earlier 5.0 mustang would have these.
sp17.jpg

12.install discharge elbow onto fox body pump.
the new pump will come with new bolts and gasket.
set gasket down,place the elbow on it facing the rear of the pump.
with your 10mm socket,tighten the two bolts.(dont over tighten)
sp18.jpg

sp19.jpg

13.wiggle SP into the upper mount,hand install (be sure not to cross thread the bolt)long upper bolt,leave loose.
sp21.jpg

14.install lower bolt,hand tighten(do not cross thread)
with your 1/2 socket,tighten both upper and lower bolts.
sp20.jpg

15.put your rubber hose on the discharge tube(it has more than enough slack)
with your slotted screwdriver,tighten hose clamp.
sp22.jpg

16.attach SP pulley,hand install Three 5/16 bolts.
sp23.jpg

17.holding the pulley with one hand,use your 5/16 wrench to tighten the Three bolts.
sp24.jpg

18.i hope you remembered your belt routing,if not,here you go.
sp25.jpg

19.with your belt properly routed,hold the belt with one hand.with the other,push breaker bar to the right,slip the belt over the Alt pulley,release bar.
sp26.jpg

20.check to make sure the belt is properly seated,and the pulley's are all lined up.
sp27.jpg

21.not done yet!
get back under the car and re-tighten the Three 5/16 bolts attaching the SP pulley.
sp28.jpg

22.this picture's kinda dark,but you can see the fox body pump has no clearence issues at all.
sp29.jpg

23.set the car back on the ground,all done!
now you can enjoy hearing the power of your 5.0,and not the Squeak-Squeak of a bad Smog Pump.
sp30.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Damn, sorry you went through all that trouble. I just dropped off a smog pump at the recycling yard today. If I knew you needed it, I would have shipped it to you.

Kurt

he did this back in April...im getting ready to take mine off tomorrow and i asked if anyone had done one and he refered me back here...just gave him props on the write up and it made it current...sorry for the confusion kurt...btw anyone need a 94-95 5.0 smog pump?

Well, time to install a new one!
Now if only I can remember the phone number for the warranty!

My pump started making a horrible noise right after my parking brake handle broke this morning :-(

Got a replacement handle, and I'll install it later today.

Fyi. Mine did the same thing till it actually locked up. I took it apart. Cleaned it and lightly sanded the inside of the cylinder. Regreased it and its good to go. Reminds me of the interior of an impact wrench, really about the same maintenance too. took an hour total to fix.

Fyi. Mine did the same thing till it actually locked up. I took it apart. Cleaned it and lightly sanded the inside of the cylinder. Regreased it and its good to go. Reminds me of the interior of an impact wrench, really about the same maintenance too. took an hour total to fix.

I did that once before too.

It lasted a few months.

To me, its not worth the time or effort when I can have a professionally rebuilt unit with a lifetime warranty

Great detailed write-up. I don't do much wrenching these days but for something like the smog pump I can't see myself paying someone else to do it. Somehow I've never had a smog pump issue, until recently. My car sounds like an old pickup that's been sitting in a barn for 10 years. I see now that it isn't much different than replacing the alternator except you have to get underneath the car.