How to install full-length headers?

sgw_88FoxGT

May 18, 2008
I'm considering putting in full length headers (Hedman street headers 1.5 inch primaries to maintain backpressure) and I want to know what I'd be getting myself into.

Two concerns are: 1) Once I cut my exhaust pipe to make room for the longer headers, how do I seal the pipes back up to the new headers? Or should I get a new exhaust?

2) O2 sensor issues?

Should I just go with equal length shorties and call it a day if it's that much easier?

• Sponsors (?)

If you want long tubes, you need at minimum a new mid-pipe and O2 sensor harness extenders, which sometimes come with new headers. You don't want to modify the mid-pipe, because it will probably come out hacked, and if its stock, you have the converters to worry about, and the smaller size tubing will cut off whatever performance you gain from the headers. Shorties are easier to install, you won't need to worry about the O2 wires, and you can use a factory-style mid-pipe, but of course you won't see the performance gain that you would from long tubes.

i did hedman long tubes on my 86 and it was a f***in nightmare. and a buddy of mine had the same problem on his car. in my opinion their garbage. i've heard good things about the bbk long tubes and matching h pipe. but as far as hedman goes they just flat out don't fit right.

Ill have to agree Hedmans just dont fit for crap on 87-93 cars, I bought a set couldnt get them to fit right so I sent them back and opted for the 99.00 set from summit. granted they are slip fit type headers and were still a pain in the butt to get in there but only real problem i had was on the drivers side getting the pip that goes around the steering shaft in there had to do some modification to the pipe but it went on finally the passenger side wasnt too bad once i put a mini starter on there you can forget trying to put them on with an early model starter it just aint happening. Youll enjoy the performance gains you see from fl's but shorties are definitely easier to install, i just happened to have a carbureted car and didnt have to deal with all that EFI crap in the way but they will go on just a pain in the butt go ahead and look forward to spending half a day getting them on there and fit right.

I can attest to longtube headers being a nigtmare to install. On a lift with an engine/trans jack it's easier. In a driveway, be prepared to smash a large amount of your own and other people's belonings in anger.

Drop out the starter and unbolt the motor from the mounts and rock it to each side to get some clearance. Also, be prepared to have clearance issues with your stock fox steering shaft. You'll probably need a mini starter as well, as the heat from the longtubes will kill a stock (non-mini) starter pretty quickly. It happened to me 1 day after installing the longtubes. You'll also need the O2 sensor wire extensions, as mentioned above.

That all being said, I LOVE my BBK longtubes and for me it was worth the PITA install. If you have the time and the know-how, definitely do it. :nice: