How To Make A Dipstick Tube For A 351w Without Buying The Ford Racing Swap Kit

Sun Dropsz

Nov 25, 2016
Huntsville, Alabama
I called Jegs, summit, lmr, dorman, cj pony, Ford dealership and all them other online vendors. From what I've been told Ford doesn't make dipsticks anymore for early 80s crown vics which is very understandable. And these online vendors will NOT sell you the dipstick and tube.They want you to buy the $150 kit. It's worth it. Buy that and be done with it. I refused to buy the 351w swap kit after I already bought the dorman 264-077 oil pan and the meling rear oil sump. All I needed was the dipstick and tube. What I did to avoid going to a junkyard and looking up under 20 trucks is I bought the "
CANTON RACING PRODUCTS 20-850
REPLACEMENT DIPSTICK UNIVERSAL".

I had to do two simple things to get it to work.
The copper fitting the comes with the dipstick won't work, put it in the drawer and save it for something else. You're going to have to get one of these

3/8in x 3/8in FPT Flare Adapter. It was about 4 dollars. You're going to need a drill or drill press. Bore out that hole on the bottom of the fitting that way your dipstick tube will fit through it. Then screw the flare adapter on your oil pan then take the silver piece that came with the Canton dipstick tube you bought and screw them together. There you go! I looked and looked for something like this but I was on my own with this one. I also suggest filling your Oilpan up to what it requires and then taking a file to the dipstick that what you know how much you oil you got. If I could take it back I would have just bought the 351w swap Oilpan kit and been done with it. You'll save yourself a headache for about $10 more!

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Sponsors(?)

james sr.

Apr 12, 2019
massachusetts
I called Jegs, summit, lmr, dorman, cj pony, Ford dealership and all them other online vendors. From what I've been told Ford doesn't make dipsticks anymore for early 80s crown vics which is very understandable. And these online vendors will NOT sell you the dipstick and tube.They want you to buy the $150 kit. It's worth it. Buy that and be done with it. I refused to buy the 351w swap kit after I already bought the dorman 264-077 oil pan and the meling rear oil sump. All I needed was the dipstick and tube. What I did to avoid going to a junkyard and looking up under 20 trucks is I bought the "
CANTON RACING PRODUCTS 20-850
REPLACEMENT DIPSTICK UNIVERSAL".

I had to do two simple things to get it to work.
The copper fitting the comes with the dipstick won't work, put it in the drawer and save it for something else. You're going to have to get one of these

3/8in x 3/8in FPT Flare Adapter. It was about 4 dollars. You're going to need a drill or drill press. Bore out that hole on the bottom of the fitting that way your dipstick tube will fit through it. Then screw the flare adapter on your oil pan then take the silver piece that came with the Canton dipstick tube you bought and screw them together. There you go! I looked and looked for something like this but I was on my own with this one. I also suggest filling your Oilpan up to what it requires and then taking a file to the dipstick that what you know how much you oil you got. If I could take it back I would have just bought the 351w swap Oilpan kit and been done with it. You'll save yourself a headache for about $10 more!

I can make that dipstick tube with nothing more than a 3/8 steel tube and a hydraulic flaring tool I made one for mine after the original was damaged

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
I can make that dipstick tube with nothing more than a 3/8 steel tube and a hydraulic flaring tool I made one for mine after the original was damaged
Yeah,....I guess somebody with a flaring tool and some 3/8" steel tube could make the dipstick TUBE themselves.....But,..I'd have to ask you then James, what do you do for the part that goes inside the tube,....the actual " dipstick" part of your DIY project?

The kit is complete,..and OP is correct, you can buy it for more, but you can't make it for less.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sun Dropsz 351w Swap Dipstick Tube Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
S Fox Oil Dipstick Tube 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 5
K Fox Dipstick tube and headers??? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 3
9 1999 GT - Oil Dipstick/Tube on Swapped Romeo Engine SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 5
The Green GT Sealing The Dipstick Tube? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 3
stanger9410 Need A Dipstick Tube 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 2
LarsD Shortening my dipstick tube 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 5
Live2shred303 I Cant Find The Dipstick Tube Insert Anywhere Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
Live2shred303 302 Dipstick Tube Location Classic Mustang Specific Tech 8
M Dipstick Tube Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
D Dipstick Tube location 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 4
E 96 Cobra Dipstick Tube - Need One SVT Tech Forum 4
2Tone5.0 DSS-331Stroker DipStick tube Screw-up Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
6 Broken dipstick tube. Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
B Replacement dipstick tube 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 0
R tranny dipstick tube o-ring 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 0
S-Car-Go Where can you get a 289 dipstick tube online? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 7
mob dipstick tube wont go in Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 15
dastang2 smoke from the dipstick tube. what is going on. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 16
88 Fox GT So when a dipstick tube breaks off flush with the block... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 27
4 Dipstick tube problems SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 11
D Oil dipstick tube bracket Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
68stang351 Anyone use a Lokar flexible oil tube/dipstick? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 8
R Oil coming up through dipstick tube??? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 11
G Dipstick Tube Removal Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
Takt I did something stupid -- snapped off the dipstick tube Classic Mustang Specific Tech 16
H AOD lines and dipstick tube o-rings sizes/ source Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
latham83 aod dipstick tube leak? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
Blev dipstick tube How to get it in SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 9
H DIPSTICK TUBE REMOVAL SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 8
Kdubslugga Anybody have a pic of where the Oil Dipstick tube goes?? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
Hack Dipstick tube is broken - 351C Classic Mustang Specific Tech 7
B Oil blowing out of my dipstick tube 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 11
grippper help help (oil dipstick tube) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
astronut1885 Broke the oild dipstick tube, now I can't check oil! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
YadiStang Need help with my 1969 oil dipstick 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 8
P Help..need on changing tranny dipstick. SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 0
M manual calls for 6qts what should dipstick read 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
mattbaker302 oil dipstick length 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 0
wolfheads Dipstick 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
C 98 GT - Don't see oil level on the dipstick after an oil change SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
H 94 5.0..... Smoke from dipstick (lots) 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 4
akaNYr Tranny dipstick confusion 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 2
Scott7512 Dipstick Not Correct Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12
J 98 Gt Automatic Dipstick Insert Length. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 9
S Engine Dipstick Removal SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 7
Mustang5L5 Dipsticks....yes, Dipsticks Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
falconater Dipstick Other Auto Tech 2
W Engine Oil Dipstick Broke Off Inside Engine 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 11
M Dipstick On Performance Pkg V8 2015+ (S550) Mustang -General/Talk 5