How To Make A Dipstick Tube For A 351w Without Buying The Ford Racing Swap Kit

I called Jegs, summit, lmr, dorman, cj pony, Ford dealership and all them other online vendors. From what I've been told Ford doesn't make dipsticks anymore for early 80s crown vics which is very understandable. And these online vendors will NOT sell you the dipstick and tube.They want you to buy the $150 kit. It's worth it. Buy that and be done with it. I refused to buy the 351w swap kit after I already bought the dorman 264-077 oil pan and the meling rear oil sump. All I needed was the dipstick and tube. What I did to avoid going to a junkyard and looking up under 20 trucks is I bought the "
CANTON RACING PRODUCTS 20-850
REPLACEMENT DIPSTICK UNIVERSAL".

I had to do two simple things to get it to work.
The copper fitting the comes with the dipstick won't work, put it in the drawer and save it for something else. You're going to have to get one of these

3/8in x 3/8in FPT Flare Adapter. It was about 4 dollars. You're going to need a drill or drill press. Bore out that hole on the bottom of the fitting that way your dipstick tube will fit through it. Then screw the flare adapter on your oil pan then take the silver piece that came with the Canton dipstick tube you bought and screw them together. There you go! I looked and looked for something like this but I was on my own with this one. I also suggest filling your Oilpan up to what it requires and then taking a file to the dipstick that what you know how much you oil you got. If I could take it back I would have just bought the 351w swap Oilpan kit and been done with it. You'll save yourself a headache for about $10 more!
ShBEIOJ

F3NYLUG

Attachments

• 20180217_114710.jpg
    20180217_114710.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 1,155
  • 20180217_114651.jpg
    20180217_114651.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 1,881
  • pACE3-20072906enh-z7.jpg
    pACE3-20072906enh-z7.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 947
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I called Jegs, summit, lmr, dorman, cj pony, Ford dealership and all them other online vendors. From what I've been told Ford doesn't make dipsticks anymore for early 80s crown vics which is very understandable. And these online vendors will NOT sell you the dipstick and tube.They want you to buy the $150 kit. It's worth it. Buy that and be done with it. I refused to buy the 351w swap kit after I already bought the dorman 264-077 oil pan and the meling rear oil sump. All I needed was the dipstick and tube. What I did to avoid going to a junkyard and looking up under 20 trucks is I bought the "
CANTON RACING PRODUCTS 20-850
REPLACEMENT DIPSTICK UNIVERSAL".

I had to do two simple things to get it to work.
The copper fitting the comes with the dipstick won't work, put it in the drawer and save it for something else. You're going to have to get one of these

3/8in x 3/8in FPT Flare Adapter. It was about 4 dollars. You're going to need a drill or drill press. Bore out that hole on the bottom of the fitting that way your dipstick tube will fit through it. Then screw the flare adapter on your oil pan then take the silver piece that came with the Canton dipstick tube you bought and screw them together. There you go! I looked and looked for something like this but I was on my own with this one. I also suggest filling your Oilpan up to what it requires and then taking a file to the dipstick that what you know how much you oil you got. If I could take it back I would have just bought the 351w swap Oilpan kit and been done with it. You'll save yourself a headache for about $10 more!
ShBEIOJ

F3NYLUG
I can make that dipstick tube with nothing more than a 3/8 steel tube and a hydraulic flaring tool I made one for mine after the original was damaged

I can make that dipstick tube with nothing more than a 3/8 steel tube and a hydraulic flaring tool I made one for mine after the original was damaged

Yeah,....I guess somebody with a flaring tool and some 3/8" steel tube could make the dipstick TUBE themselves.....But,..I'd have to ask you then James, what do you do for the part that goes inside the tube,....the actual " dipstick" part of your DIY project?

The kit is complete,..and OP is correct, you can buy it for more, but you can't make it for less.