How to open a coupe trunk with a broken lock

• Sponsors (?)

Hmm if you can't get to it by taking the backseat out I'd probably just drill the lock out. You might damage more than just the lock though depending how deep you drill. Whatever you end up breaking I'm sure you can find another at the junkyard.

Well i can probably take the seat out but then what? You can't just crawl through because there's a huge X brace behind the seat, and there's no chance i can reach it.

I believe that the plate that holds the lock in is rivited in from the outside. Look up from the liscence plate area, drill out that rivit, pull that plate out. And the lock should come right out.

I believe that the plate that holds the lock in is rivited in from the outside. Look up from the liscence plate area, drill out that rivit, pull that plate out. And the lock should come right out.

Damn really? Remind me not to leave anything valuable in my trunk ever again...lol.

I don't even know how it happened....i just went out last night to get in my trunk and it was kinda like the water seal was frozen, kinda like a door freezes shut, but it didn't give at all and then i realized it was the lock.

It's not a huge deal, nothing in there i need out (i was putting my tools back there) and i need to get a whole new set of locks anyways, i just wasn't sure how to get the lock off without butchering it.

I just had to do this on my vert.. my key actually broke off in the trunk a year or so ago and I never had to get into it till last weekend. I was angry and I just used a bfg and a screwdriver :D. It took about 2 minutes and I didnt damage anything but the lock. :rolleyes: But if you don't want to be ghetto like me... drill the rivet out. I did try to drill the rivet out, but the plate was still stuck inside, hence why it took me a year to do anything about it. :shrug:

Well if it really comes down to it, i wouldn't mind getting a new trunk lid anyways as mine is starting to bubble with some rust. If i can't get it drilled out i'll ghetto hammer it :lol:

u don't need 2 drill or cut anything . just take out the backseat & put a screwdriver in the lock & turn it. little tight squeeze with the x brace a long screwdriver will help..

why don't we start a website on how to break into fox bodies so all the thieves can read it

I thought of that but lets face it, as these cars get older, crap like this happens and how else do you find out how to fix it?

Besides if a thief wants in your car they're getting in one way or another and i doubt they're scanning Stang.net for how-tos on breaking in, they're probably using a slim jim (ridiculously easy to pop a lock on a Fox) or just busting the quarter glass.