How to "OWN" a firebird...

Mike SVOR said:
Really??

That thing ran a high 13 if I remember right. I'll have to get the time slips from the warehouse tonight and check.
I know I ran a mid 14 when I broke and he was like a second ahead of me.
I wanted to show him what a 12 second car looks like pulling away from him. lol.

yep in stock form there like low 14, possible 13 stock. put like 220-230 to the ground

• Sponsors (?)

nomuffler said:
Damn I knew I should have gone out there Friday. I've been dying to see your car run since I found your website about a year ago. I saw it in the best buy parking lot once but that's not near as cool. Anyone on here that hasn't seen this guys website is missing out. :nice:

Damn, I should've posted saying I was going! But I decided too late in the day to let anyone know.
It's always awesome to meet 2.3 people!

When the track opens back up, I'll be there!

351wcoupe said:
man mike that firebird was with a lead off and a against a 2.3 dead stop. That was great!

yea, that was a good race.
I'm sure he had his problems shifting, but I was popping and sputtering all the way down the track, so, junk against junk, he got beat!

He redlighted with a -.042
I slept on the line with +.454

He ran a 12.838 @ 108.8

We met at the far end basically wheel-to-wheel.

If you add it all up, that would mean that I ran a 12.384 @ 109

But like I said, the clocks werent working after the 60 ft time, so I can't say I actually ran a 12.34. I'm really pissed at that. It would've been my best time to date.
It felt strong too.

But it usually runs in the 12.5's @ 109 so, that's what I can claim on this run since I have no proof that it actually did a 12.30.

Like I said, i'm not happy about the clocks not working. :mad:

Mike SVOR said:
Yea, I remember when everyone and their grandmother was recommending the ranger roller cam for "performance". I came onto turboford way back when and started a huge bitching fest when I said that the ranger cam was smaller than a stock cam. It is.

need that puppy dyno'd before and after the cam (so i know if i want to change the lift on mine ;)) Just looking at the slider cam vrs the roller cam(ranger) the (slider)lobe's look like it would provide more lift, but* the roller cam has less area to travel due to the rollers standing Higher than a slider rocker. Also the lobes are not as wide, but in reality how much does that matter? its hitting a roller that provides less friction and doenst need the extra surface area to mash it down. For a cheap fix i think the ranger cam/followers would be good Upgrade, if u want to spend the money on more radical cam u could always swap it later (after your done being our testing dyno dummy :p ...OHC is a beautiful thing :flag:

mr_woodster said:
need that puppy dyno'd before and after the cam (so i know if i want to change the lift on mine ;)) Just looking at the slider cam vrs the roller cam(ranger) the (slider)lobe's look like it would provide more lift, but* the roller cam has less area to travel due to the rollers standing Higher than a slider rocker. Also the lobes are not as wide, but in reality how much does that matter? its hitting a roller that provides less friction and doenst need the extra surface area to mash it down. For a cheap fix i think the ranger cam/followers would be good Upgrade, if u want to spend the money on more radical cam u could always swap it later (after your done being our testing dyno dummy :p ...OHC is a beautiful thing :flag:

I found a place that sells custom grinds for our motors. www.lazercams.com
I was quoted around 290 bucks for a .527 lift 227 degree roller with new springs.
Check 'em out.
I'm going to the metal shop tomorrow to get some 1 3/4" pipes for the new Volvo header. I can't see myself paying 300 bucks for a cam and then another 100 bucks for an adjustable pulley, when the volvo head is almost complete. :flag:

Mike SVOR said:
I found a place that sells custom grinds for our motors. www.lazercams.com
I was quoted around 290 bucks for a .527 lift 227 degree roller with new springs.
Check 'em out.
I'm going to the metal shop tomorrow to get some 1 3/4" pipes for the new Volvo header. I can't see myself paying 300 bucks for a cam and then another 100 bucks for an adjustable pulley, when the volvo head is almost complete. :flag:

Oh, I forgot to ask. How is that volvo head going?

nomuffler said:
Oh, I forgot to ask. How is that volvo head going?

*grumble* it's not.

I'm gona have to buy a tig welder and do it myself. I can't keep throwing money at the welder to have all this stuff welded together.

I think for the mean time, I'll buy a Tec3 and a huge cam, maybe some additional injectors and have fun.
Gona send my spare motor to the shop and have it bored out for some new ultra lite pistons, rods, have the crank turned and balanced, and sit down with a spare cylinder head and take some anger out by porting the hell out of it and throwing some Fererra undercut stainless valves and titanium retainers in.

That should be good enough to bust off a mid 11 pass.

What cha think.

Mike SVOR said:
*grumble* it's not.

I'm gona have to buy a tig welder and do it myself. I can't keep throwing money at the welder to have all this stuff welded together.

I think for the mean time, I'll buy a Tec3 and a huge cam, maybe some additional injectors and have fun.
Gona send my spare motor to the shop and have it bored out for some new ultra lite pistons, rods, have the crank turned and balanced, and sit down with a spare cylinder head and take some anger out by porting the hell out of it and throwing some Fererra undercut stainless valves and titanium retainers in.

That should be good enough to bust off a mid 11 pass.

What cha think.
I think you should write a book about shadetree performance engineering. I'd realy like to meet you, are you still in this neck of the woods? I deliver Pizza for Gumby's NW I don't know if you're in the area but if you are order and ask for "Warwagon".

Mike SVOR said:
*grumble* it's not.

Move to cali and bring your stang, ill let you barrow my ark or my oxy ;) i think thats a reasonable motive to move ....(ok ok ok, i admit it..i just want to see the car in person :cool: )

mr_woodster said:
unless u like welding, careful with your anger porting (if its a turbo head, exhuast side) those bumps to the left contain a wealth of water jakets....aka pain the buttttttt to fix. dont ask ;)

Yea, I don't think I'll ever port another Iron head. It sucks so bad. I can't stand the tiny shards and slivers of Iron that are like glass in my clothes and shoes, socks, etc.
Aluminum rules.
Volvo head or bust!

mr_woodster said:
Move to cali and bring your stang, ill let you barrow my ark or my oxy ;) i think thats a reasonable motive to move ....(ok ok ok, i admit it..i just want to see the car in person :cool: )

LOL, I don't think I can ever leave the East coast. The water in the keys is just too clear, the florida springs are picture perfect, the gainesville raceway is right down the road..... :D
I do get to fly out to Cali now and then for work. I was in San Jose not too long ago BS'ing with some turbo people.
:nice: