How to pass emissions without cats

Opal50

May 16, 2007
I want to get some LT headers this summer with an o/r h or x-pipe. Obviously emssions is a problem if I get rid of the cats. Just wondering if any of you guys know a way to trick the cpu to give good readings or anything like that. I can always just fasten some empty heat shields to the h-pipe for the cat illusion too you know.

• Sponsors (?)

well where are you from? here in illinois, there was no visual check, just a run on the treadmill thingy. we now do not have to do that in ill., but when we did my buddy had a 383 in his el camino with longtubes and no cats, and he did the test with a couple of bottles of that "Pass emmissions" stuff in there and passed with no problems. i dont know how strict it is where you live though.

I think an el-camino might have alittle less strict smog numbers to hit also...not that the 5.0 doesnt have a good bit of play. Its just going to be harder.

I have seen cars with cats but no smog pump fail by a mile with bottles of GTPm 8* timing...the same car with the smog pump installed passed with a good bit of room. From that alone I think its going to be hard with cats and or smog removed by GTP.

Hell for what 4-5$ though its worth a try.

There's no substitute for catalyzation. I'd simply budget in a means of having cats when you need them (inserts in your new H-pipe which can have cats or straight pipe, etc).

Good luck.

ya, a custom short h or x pipe with clip in straight pipe or cats might be a good idea, and not too hard... but i know at least here in mass, they are doing away with the emissions testing as you know it. now,(starting '08) for all cars 95 and older, all they do is plug the car in and see if its throwing any codes that would cause it to fail if not then u pass.... plus im guessing there will still be a visual check. but that might be something worth researching in your area. Mass is pretty strict and we're doing this so...

Yeah, I'll have to look what the up coming rules are going to be here in Connecticut. I don't know why i didn't think of just custom rigging the cats to come in and out of the h-pipe. Doesn't seem that hard to do either with a little welding.

Hey droptop, is that true about the emissions testing here in mass??? I heard rumors about it but no one has been able to confirm it. Were you able to confirm it??

ya, a custom short h or x pipe with clip in straight pipe or cats might be a good idea, and not too hard... but i know at least here in mass, they are doing away with the emissions testing as you know it. now,(starting '08) for all cars 95 and older, all they do is plug the car in and see if its throwing any codes that would cause it to fail if not then u pass.... plus im guessing there will still be a visual check. but that might be something worth researching in your area. Mass is pretty strict and we're doing this so...

CT...

emissions suck man..

You are gonna need cats on there... I haven't found a station yet that will allow no cats (they HAVE to do the visual).... then they videotape the actual inspection...

If you are in NE CT I can reccomend a place that may let you through...

BUT I reccomend using guranteed 2 pass and pull the timing out for the run (my EGR doesn't work and my cats are junk)...

It's brutal here in Ontario.

They ended the rolling exemptions with the 1988 year. Ever car built after 1987 must get emissions tests every 2 years. They are trying to pass legislation to make 12 year old+ cars have testing every year. They are also only using dyno's for vehicles made before 1998. 1998+ only has to plug into a code reader.

grr...

I want to get some LT headers this summer with an o/r h or x-pipe. Obviously emssions is a problem if I get rid of the cats. Just wondering if any of you guys know a way to trick the cpu to give good readings or anything like that. I can always just fasten some empty heat shields to the h-pipe for the cat illusion too you know.

Do like my buddy did. Take the cats off your stock H-pipe. Split them and weld in a pipe so it goes completely through the cat. Make sure it's the same size as your o/r h-pipe. Now fill it half way with sand and weld the top on. Then just weld it into your o/r pipe. It will look like you have functionale cats on your car, but it's really an o/r pipe. The sand filled half way will give it the same cluck sound as the normal ones do, in case they hit it to check if it's hollowed out. Plus you won't have to swap out pipes for inspection time.

He's gotten pulled over a couple times by state troopers, and they always seem to wanna check for cats because the car is loud....lol

Hey droptop, is that true about the emissions testing here in mass??? I heard rumors about it but no one has been able to confirm it. Were you able to confirm it??

sorry i havnt responded in a while. my only confirmation of this has been of the rumor type, but everyone seems to be saying the same thing as what i told you earlier. even last night in was at a party and a friend of a friend was talking about it (he does inspections...) he said that basically he hasnt been doin the roler test for a while now on 95 and older cars, as long as he gets a copy of the registartion he will pass my car with the "plug-in test", but let me repaet, we were at a party and he was pretty hammered so whjo knows if he was BS'ing. However, most other places will still need to do the visual, and a loud car will still let them fail you, i believe. so its not that much different unless you were having emissions problems in the past due to something besides an o/r H or X, in which case you were probably throwing codes anyways.

I'm all are for keeping our air cleaner, just run the high-flow cats if its a street car, you only gain maybe 2HP without em anyways. If you are only taking the car to the track just keep the old stock midpipe and swap it for emissions.

It's brutal here in Ontario.

They ended the rolling exemptions with the 1988 year. Ever car built after 1987 must get emissions tests every 2 years. They are trying to pass legislation to make 12 year old+ cars have testing every year. They are also only using dyno's for vehicles made before 1998. 1998+ only has to plug into a code reader.

grr...
Personally, I think the emissions limits in Ontario are pretty lenient. I've passed all but once and that was a faulty 02 sensor. I don't know if that 1 year thing will ever pass, they have been talking about that for a couple of years now. You could also register your car in Northern Ontario and not have to do emissions :nice:

I live in IL too. I tried everything to pass with LT and O/R H.. and failed horrible every time. I tried making a flex tube short H pipe with cats.. that was pretty funny. I tried that "pass emissions" stuff as well and failed. So i when they where gonna suspend my license i kinda found a small loop hole. All i did was sell the car to my parents for free and paid the 100 buck transfer of title. I think that buys you a little over 2 years to not worry about it again. Worked for me twice now and insurance is also a hell of a lot cheaper under my rents then me :D