How to quiet down exhaust noise heard from inside

super302

I'd do anything for free Bapples
May 29, 2004
Davenport, IA
I took out my back seat (again, lol...3rd times a charm)...this time for GOOD (seatbelts and all)

anyways, now its really super loud, i want a way to make the interior as quiet as possible....any suggestoins (put insulation in my RSD "box"?)

What specific products??? and i'm trying to make this as cost-effective as possible :nice:

Thanks,
Patrick

EDIT: how do you remove the wiper arm, i want to take the cowl off and paint it, but can't figure out how to take off the arm (dont wanna brake it)
:D

• Sponsors (?)

Black 93 Fox said:
For the arm you lift up then there should be a little tab underneath wear it sit pull it out to the right then lift up the arm. :nice: On the seat i would just put more insulation there.

I saw that tab the other day, pulled it out somewhat far, but nothing happened??

I was thinking i could take out the spare tire and put insulation in there too :nice:
(i could then sell my spare tire, which i polished one day, lol)

With the tab, lift the arm up and then pull the tab out. If it's pulled out all the way the arm will rest against it. Then it's just a matter of wiggling the arm back and forth until it comes off the stud that it sits on. You may have to take it off and put it back on a few times to get it adjusted the way you want it when you go to put the arm back on. Installation is reverse of removal.

Not exactly cheap ,but perhaps Dynamat would help quiet things down.

I have a theory about interior resonance and a way that might cancel it out or at least minimize it greatly. It's a harmonic that the exhaust gases passign through the exhaust sytem create. My theory is if you could coat a muffler with a heat resistenet rubber coating it might eliminate or tone the harmonic down substantially.

I have tride to think of someplace that might carry a high temp resistent rubber/silicone type coating to try this with, but can think of anyplace.

I have off road h and 2 chamber flows , and I put secondskin(same thing as dynamat) all in the hatch and I can barely hear my exhaust now. I have to get behind my car to really hear how loud my exhaust is. Use this stuff much cheaper than dynamat. Weight is minimal like 6 lbs. www.secondskinaudio.com p.s 40 sq ft was enough for both doors and the trunt and top of hatch.

fujifrench2k4 said:
I have off road h and 2 chamber flows , and I put secondskin(same thing as dynamat) all in the hatch and I can barely hear my exhaust now. I have to get behind my car to really hear how loud my exhaust is. Use this stuff much cheaper than dynamat. Weight is minimal like 6 lbs. www.secondskinaudio.com p.s 40 sq ft was enough for both doors and the trunt and top of hatch.
sweet, i would love for my interior to be "new luxury car" quiet :nice:

TJM is onto something. Electronic noise-cancelling devices (node/anti node) are out there. I have not read about them in some time, but I think it is cost prohibitive for how it works. I would expect to see luxo-supercars with that at some point here (if it is not already).

Patrick, dynomat type stuff, a system, talkative better-half, etc are ways to not notice the NVH you hear now. :D

fujifrench2k4 said:

Did it kill or reduce the dreaded drone?

good question, im interested in the same thing. are all of the products listed good for getting rid of drone? or just general noise?

i have tailpipes now and 2 chamber flow's again. the car is damn near silent until about 1800 rpm's, then i get the famous drone again. its not horrible or untolerable, but it would be nice to have it sound like that all around.

i have an rsd also. i would just lay some down under the rear hatch carpet up to under the seat.

well, the stuff works pretty good to be honest. I even did the roof and the car doesnt sound like a tin can anymore when you tap on it. Im wiring up my stereo today so I will be able to tell you if it killed some rattles. As far as drone is concerned I still have the stock exhaust on my car (I know it should be considered a sin) and last year it would actually drone at around 2000rpm. It no longer does that and it alot quieter. The drone is actually alot of the metal in the car vibrating for the certain rpm point of the mufflers. With this deadener on the metal, it doesnt allow it to vibrate and if it does you cant here it because the sound gets absorbed. In the end I reccomend it to all of you but I will really be able to give my impressions after I put my dumps on the car.

Drone isn't noticeable anymore as far as I know , it never really bothered me . And I bought the secondskin awhile ago now they have tons of new types. Id look into their b stock stuff. I don't think my mustang will ever get luxury like so the regular dampener would be fine. p.s might want to buy their installation tools like the roller , you can cut your hands up pretty bad laying the stuff down learned that the hard way. And 20 sq ft would probably be only enough for the trunk and hatch.

My exhaust set up is in my sig. And by the way I don't know if they still do it anymore but I contacted secondskinaudio and told them my zip code and if there wasn't any local dealers they sent me a link for their factory direct prices. But that was a year or two ago when they didn't have alot of dealers.