How to recalibrate speedo-After White face gauge install?????

avelleno

Feb 24, 2004
Guys,

Need some help here, I just installed MAC white face gauge set-And i have calibrated all the gauges-perfectly!!! Except the dreaded speedo-How the FuGG-Can you set & recalibrate the needle????????????
Its still off by 10MPH faster than usual, What can i do to get it set back.... PlEAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Help in NYC......
Many thanks-Anthony :mad: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Five-Oh,

i documented them, Key/On-Start-(Running), Key-On/No start, and Off...... The speedo is a hard one-The only way-You will know is while you are going 65 @ 2000 with 4'10's in an AOD-which is off to begin with-She is running 10 MPH faster now-So its off.
i dont know-how i can set it back-without tampering with the needle stop....

Do you know-?????
Anthony :nonono:

Come on-guys!

Come on guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

No one knows-How to re-calibrate there speedo's here???? No one has white face gauges-Come on! Share the wealth of info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please-Many Thanks-Anthony :bang: :bang: :bang:

I'd say call the police station and ask if there are any of those radar displaying signs in your area. You could also have someone pace you while on cruise control and talk to them on the cell phone. It's not the most accurate, but you can adjust it as you go.

Hey Thanks- FreeGT

I was thinking the same, have a friend pace beside me and quote the speed-and just adjust it as i am driving on cruise control-Thats not the safest thing to do-But WTF-right!

Thanks for replying!
Ant :nice:

Did you go from an 85MPH speedo to a 140MPH? Or did you stay the same?

Here's the easiest way that i know. Take a peek at the stock speedo gauge. Under the 0MPH mark you will notice a small tick mark. WHen you remove the needle stop post, the needle should want to rest pointing at that small tick. Hold the cluster as if it was in the car so the needle can be weighed down by gravity. Since white face gauges don't have this tick, you need to estimate where it would be. Place the needle and then push the stop post in and that should get you close enough.

As for the other gauges, well all you really need to know is how they Zero out. If you shut the car off and cycle the key to ON, some gauge will zero out. The tach will drop to Zero, the Oil pressure will drop to zero, and if the car is cold (engine hasn't been run in a while) the water temp one will also drop to zero. You just place the needle on and move em and cycle the key a few times and see if they zero out. The batt gauge will zero out after you turn the key to on and then shut it off.

As for gas, fill the tank and put it on F. Or if you want it to be VERY accurate, run the car til it's out of gas and put the needle on E.

When you take out the speedo needle, you HAVE TO TAKE OUT THE SPEEDO STOPPER. Doing this, the needle will unwind a little bit.

Now when putting them back, put the needle back on where it unwound, wind it back to above the needle stop, then put the stop back in. Now it's set.

Your mistake was taking it off w/o letting it unwind, now you have no idea where it should go. I dunno what to tell ya, hopefully someone else here answered it already.

mansonozz said:
When you take out the speedo needle, you HAVE TO TAKE OUT THE SPEEDO STOPPER. Doing this, the needle will unwind a little bit.

Now when putting them back, put the needle back on where it unwound, wind it back to above the needle stop, then put the stop back in. Now it's set.

Your mistake was taking it off w/o letting it unwind, now you have no idea where it should go. I dunno what to tell ya, hopefully someone else here answered it already.

Been there, done that!