How to remove 3rd member

monk302

Founding Member
Apr 18, 2001
New Jersey
I am in the process of cleaning up my 9 inch and today I removed the brake components and the bolts that hold the 3rd member in. My question is how to remove the pumpkin, should I remove the axles first? How do I remove the axles. Is it simply held in by the plate and the four bolts behind the brake components? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If you have the brakes off then you are already half way there. Yes you have to take off the 4 bolts for the bearing retainer that hold it to the axle casing. Keep in mind that the splines on the end of the axle may wreck the seal if you take it all the way out. You don't need to take it all the way out if you are just wanting to take out the third member 6-12 inches should be enough. Then go to the other side and do the same.

monk302 said:
My question is how to remove the pumpkin, should I remove the axles first?
Yes.
monk302 said:
How do I remove the axles. Is it simply held in by the plate and the four bolts behind the brake components? Thanks
Yes again, but they often require some 'persuasion'. Use the slid hammer method as described above. You should probably consider replacing the axle seals and bearings at this time as well. The seals since they may break when you take the retainers off and the bearings since they are how old?