How to remove front sway bar?

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
If the weather holds out I should be heading back to the track on Wednesday.

First time since the X pipe, didnt have a chance to get other mods yet.

But I want to make the most of a nearly stock car, so im pulling the headlight on the intake side, removing spare and jack, and removing the front sway to help with weight transfer.

Can I just disconnected it and tie it up out of the way, or do I need to remove it totally? If totally removing it how many bolts are holding it in? Im used to doing this on my 4x4 but dont know if its the same thing with a car.

• Sponsors (?)

if your going to be under there you might as well take it all the way out.. for weight savings... i took my swaybar off for the track a few months ago and i lost control on our ****ty freeway and about hit van... so drive like a grandma:D

weight savings is about 15lbs...to remove it entirely, remove the nut at the top of the end link on both sides. If you follow the sway bar around you'll see its held in place by two retaining collars(1 each side). They have two nuts each, take those nuts out and the sway bar comes right off.

I always leave the endlinks in place and put the bushings/nut back on so I don't lose anything.

Well ill probaly just disconnect it if I can tie it up, if not I guess ill yank the bar and leave the links on. Its a 2 hour drive to the strip with plenty of 60-70mph driving so I probaly want to leave it on untill I get there.

Thanks guys.

When i take mine out,i undo the bolts that hold the endlinks to the lower control arms,which the bolts are located underneath control arms,then i remove all 4 bolts that holt the sway bar to the frame rails.Takes me 15 minutes to get it out,and 20 to 25 minutes to put it back in,and my sled is slammed.:nice:
If you are only going to disconnect it,but leave it in,it's not even worth disconnecting it then...in my opinion :shrug: .
As for how she will ride without it.I drove around for 3 years without it until i put the lakewood 90/10 struts in,and that is where she got sloppy,and i put it back in.

BurningRubber said:
Well ill probaly just disconnect it if I can tie it up, if not I guess ill yank the bar and leave the links on. Its a 2 hour drive to the strip with plenty of 60-70mph driving so I probaly want to leave it on untill I get there.

Thanks guys.

I've drove around for 2+ years w/out a sway bar in the front. Its not bad at all! You just can't take turns doing your normal speed! Just remember when its off it induces a lot of oversteer so you need to pay more attention to the way you drive.

Driving on the freeway you won't notice anything except maybe a little more front end rise when hitting a bump or when changing lanes.