How to remove lugs from front brake drums

RDWilley

Jun 2, 2011
How, short of bashing the living sh-- out of them, do I reomve the lugs from my old front brake drums? I have the new drums but I need to remove and install my old lugs. !966 - 289 Convertible.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I separated 2 front hubs from the drum and can't think of a way that wouldn't damage or weaken the studs, as 2+2 mentioned press the studs out and get new ones. I pounded on the studs with a 2X4 and sledge in an opposite star pattern until I could see movement then pounded on the hub center until it broke free. I plan to press out the studs and put new in when I use them.
Jon

Yes, I haven't used them yet but once the studs moved (lots of penetrating oil) I could also see a seperation of the center hub area and just kept working my way around. One broke free after just one circle of whacks, the other took 1/2 dozen circles before I saw movement. They both just dropped out of the bottom of the drum once loose. The 2X4 kept me from marring the hub by delivering force with a little give as the wood dented.
Jon

Thanks much, I'll get out the old sledge and have at it. The hubs are good and I don't want to spend the extra money for new ones if I don't have to. Lugs are one thing, hubs are a horse of a different color.

If you are removing the hub from the from the drum just lay it on the ground, with the dust cover off, put a 2x4 over the hub and smack it with a small 3# hammer. The hub should seperate from the drum. But you need to press the studs out. Also you need to get the hub and studs pressed back in, so unless you sre just seperting to save shipping weight. I would let a machine shop do it for ya.