How to remove the center console?

I did search.
This console is in really good shape and I don't want to risk damaging it, so I am asking first before just attacking it. It is an automatic trans one.
I am pretty sure I have to remove the T handle from the shifter, but I don't know where the screws/bolts are hiding that attach the console to the mounting brackets.

Also in that general area, where do I disconnect the wires that go to the driver's seat belt(assuming it is for a warning light) the short one that mounts to the tunnel? The covering that goes over the belt is very tight, so I am thinking it must be under the carpet somewhere or even up under the dash?

Yes, I know I need a factory service manual. sigh.

Thanks,
Russ

• Sponsors (?)

Yes you have to remove the shifter handle, there is a small set screw that holds it on. There are also screws in the bottom of the glove box (Center console glove box) and at the very front of the console. (the front ones are a pain, use a stubby screwdriver) Once all the screws are out it lifts off very easily, if its not lifting easily you have missed a screw or two somewhere. Once all the screws are out lift and slide it forward to clear the eBrake.

Thanks.
I thought that there were screws somewhere in the glovebox area, wasn't sure if I had to take it out to get to them.
Front I wasn't sure about. Thought they might be under the shifter bezel for some reason.

I am working in a garage at night, have decent lighting, but not inside the car. Hard for these old eyes to see sometimes. :)

Russ

Ahh I've never seen a II with a screw at the front... EVER. the four screws inside the "box", remove the coin tray under the e-brake handle removing the shifter handle is optional (it is easier if you do remove it). once the four screws are out you slide the entire console forward (toward the dash) 1.5 - 2 inches and and lift the rear up off the ebrake handle and slide the whole unit to one side or the other and it's free. The front is held by a tab rivited to the top of the tunnel sticking through the carpet and a slot in the front of the console. Slide it forward and you are home free.

Tim

Thanks.
Got it off with only minimal damage. I broke the rivets that held the front tab on the tunnel. I should have gone ahead and taken the shifter handle off I suppose.
Turns out the console isn't in as good of shape as I thought, but it should just take a good cleaning, especially up front, the part that I couldn't see. No biggie.

Russ

Thanks, but the only damage was that the bracket that rivets to the tunnel came off, but it didn't evenbend.
Not that I will be needing it anytime soon now anyway. :)

Not sure what I will do with the console, already have one in the Pinto.

Russ

Yeah. I would rather go back to Phoenix and deal with dry rotted interiors than the rust here, but stupid me I moved here with my wife and she loves it and won't go back. And to be honest, my lungs sure don't miss the pollution out there.

Been thinking about trying to sell the stuff, but with bigger stuff like the console I wouldn't really be able to pack it up to my standards. Here at work they pack up all sorts of stuff, but we can't even garbage dive, much less use company tools/supplies even if we offered to pay.

I imagine it will all end up in the garage forever. Who knows?

Thanks,
Russ

Russ, here's a thought...turn those stashed MII parts into usable everyday items!

MY '78 CBII only had one seat with a reasonable cover and I bought '85 GT seats to use instead, so I did this with the '78 seat.

I'm thinking that the rear fold down seat out of my late lamented '76 hatch would make a neat restaurant-style bench seat with hidden storage behind the seat back. All I need now is a sheet of birch faced plywood. ;)

Attachments

• M2OfficeSeat_front.jpg
    M2OfficeSeat_front.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 153
Wow, that is not bad!
I think I am going to craigslist everything and see what happens. But I will keep that in mind if I can't sell the seats. I could use something to sit on in the garage. Or I could even take a seat and the shifter and the column and the dash and make it into a really realistic driving game controller. :)

Thanks,
Russ