How to repair a tear in 87-93 GT ground effects?

CAPTAIN

May 9, 2002
I'm wondering if it's possible to repair a tear in the ground effects on the fox GT models?
Is there a product designed for this?

What has everyone else done for this?

• Sponsors (?)

Zip-tie Frankenstein stitches. :D I don't have a pic of it on my car, but my front bumper has a tear in it underneath where you can't see and that's what I'm doing for the time being.

Best pic of what I'm talking about that I could find:

frankenstein.jpg

I'm wondering if it's possible to repair a tear in the ground effects on the fox GT models?
Is there a product designed for this?

What has everyone else done for this?

its called a replacement part. the urethane is rather flexible and after the tear will never be straight again.

The area around the tear should be heated up with a heat gun until it gets hot enough to that you cant touch it with bare hands.
Use a screwdriver handle to move the area around the tear back to where it is supposed to be when it cools back down it will be alot closer if not exactly the same shape it was.
Drill small holes big enough to fit zip ties through on either side of the tear
stitch it back together this will hold the bumper exactly where it should be.
Go to autobody supply store get some Fusor #142 or 3M plastic repair
Scuffthe area around the tear with 80 or 150 git sand paper
clean with wax and grease remover then apply plastic repair to the area with some type of cloth or other backing material
when it dries sand down the front of the torn area with 80grit then 150 this will remove the zip ties and smooth the area out for a light coat of glaze and you will then sand that smooth finish with 320 grit prime and paint

its called a replacement part. the urethane is rather flexible and after the tear will never be straight again.

That would be great if I could find one! I'd love to simply buy a new piece, but they are scarce!
It's not actually for a Mustang GT, but a Ranger GT that Ford only made around 1,000 of in 1988 & 1989.
The reason I posted the question here was because it looks very similar to the 87-93 Mustang GT ground effects and is made of the same material.

MustangBill87-
Do I remove the zip ties at some point, or am I going right over them with the plastic repair? Do I lay the cloth/backing material down on top and then go over it with the plastic repair?

I have zero experience with urethane/plastic body work, so I'm asking all the questions before I crew it up.

MustangBill87-
Do I remove the zip ties at some point, or am I going right over them with the plastic repair? Do I lay the cloth/backing material down on top and then go over it with the plastic repair?

I have zero experience with urethane/plastic body work, so I'm asking all the questions before I crew it up.

Scuff the area around the tear with 80 or 150 git sand paper
clean with wax and grease remover then apply plastic repair to the area with some type of cloth or other backing material
when it dries sand down the front of the torn area with 80grit then 150 this will remove the zip ties and smooth the area out for a light coat of glaze and you will then sand that smooth finish with 320 grit prime and paint.
looks like you missed this step...

3M 8115 bonding adhesive, get any old chunk of flexible bumper material to use as backing, I used screws and got everything in place screwed together, then pulled the screws from one side of the crack, applied the adhesive and screwed it back together, then repeated it for the other side of the crack, then when dry pulled screws and filled the holes. This stuff will also work great for filling and smoothing the surface, then sand down and prime/paint, it is actually stronger than the bumper material, I bonded two different bumpers together (upper and a lower) and it worked really well.
Just my 2 cents, good luck.