How to tell if 66 fastback is a true GT

66bullitt

Jul 17, 2011
Hi, how do i tell if this recent purchase 66 fastback is a true gt car?

Also I was told the car has a 289 K code engine in it. Doubt It, :eek: but curious.

I have a lot of engine #s and engine part #s
Could this be an engine block that was just built to K code specs, and what would the difference be, just the block or ???
It does have shelby heads and solid lifters in it.

• Sponsors (?)

Here are the markings, K code engine Questions

Block C5AE-6015E
Stamped 5E22 with engine id tag 5E
Vin# 5F09K717591
Crank 1M
Cylinder heads dated 5C18/5D28

Does this information help id the engine?

I'm not an expert, but I believe all the numbers you have provided are correct.

Other things I have been told to look for would be a small swatch of orange paint on the the rear face of the block. Orange paint may also be on the back end of the crank. The crank should have a "K" stamped on the next to last counter weight. The last counter weight may have a polish mark on it for Brinell testing. The rod bolts should also be 3/8 inch instead of 5/16.

Also look for a steering box with a "HCC-AX" tag.

My A code 66 had the HCC-AX box from the factory. Any V8 with the heavy-duty suspension would.

As for GT or not, the factory fog lamps, and 5-gauge dash would be a good indicator. Of course, a non-GT with deluxe interior would have it, too. Of course, a K code is much more desirable than a GT. Does the engine have all the HP bells and whistles?

My A code 66 had the HCC-AX box from the factory. Any V8 with the heavy-duty suspension would.

As for GT or not, the factory fog lamps, and 5-gauge dash would be a good indicator. Of course, a non-GT with deluxe interior would have it, too. Of course, a K code is much more desirable than a GT. Does the engine have all the HP bells and whistles?

in 66 all mustangs had the five dial instrument panel.

as to the OP, check the engine code in the vin number, if it is either an "A" or a "K", then it is possible that you have a GT. any other engine code, and no GT.