How to tell if i have a PI head/intake

empyrials

Aug 31, 2009
so i just got a 97 GT and the guy says the motor was rebuilt 30k ago by the previous owner. I'm new to mustangs so i don't know stock vs not unless it just stands out, like cold air intake does lol.

anyways is there an easy way to determine this? it'd make since as my friend said the intake didn't look stock but he wasn't for sure, and no idea about the head. It would make sense if he upgraded it when he had the head off, since they said it has cams, higher compression pistons, etc.. but you never know.

i tried searching for this but the PI swap thread i found didn't have pics, or maybe i'm just searching the wrong terms, dunno.

• Sponsors (?)

thanks i'll take a look tonight to see what it says. and ya i really don't want to rip off the valve cover unless i need too just to find out if it has cams or not. so i'll just be assuming some things in the mean time lol

pi and non pi look the same to an untrained eye. Odds are, your friend is full of it..

To tell the difference with them on the car, look at the top of the block UNDER the intake, if you can see it clearly and there is a TON of room, you have a non pi intake. if the intake is REALLY deep and almost touches the top of the block then its a pi intake. To check on the heads, if the intake ports of the heads match the intake then you have that style of heads....

I don't remember any markings on the back of pi heads, but then again, I've never looked for it.

non pi has a tear drop shapped port while a pi head has a trapezoid (angled square looking thing, best i can describe it) port.