How to unstick 10 year old engine

I echo what everyone else has said, chances are the cylinders are going to be worthless. Why do you want to reuse the block? If it's a numbers matching block to a car that you're looking to do a concours restoration chances are good that you'll have to sleeve a number of, if not all of, the cylinders.
No, not what everyone else has said..the first to respond were telling him how to beat the pistons out of a rusted ass piece of cast iron.

• Sponsors (?)

Might be worth some entertainment value.

Watched a YouTube vid a few weeks back of an engine that was stuck like this one. After the acetene/atf mix did nothing, he broke out the acetylene torch. Damn thing was cherry red and they didn’t even budge until he melted the pistons out.

OPs going to find out pretty quickly those pistons aren’t moving

Last edited:
No, not what everyone else has said..the first to respond were telling him how to beat the pistons out of a rusted ass piece of cast iron.

I echo what some have said, chances are the cylinders are going to be worthless. Why do you want to reuse the block? If it's a numbers matching block to a car that you're looking to do a concours restoration chances are good that you'll have to sleeve a number of, if not all of, the cylinders.

There, fixed. You may continue your evening.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Holy crap that’s a good pile of shmeg in that one cyl lol. I’d give it a liquid wrench, marvel mystery, and atf cocktail, then play the waiting game. It’ll have to be machined anyways, and those pistons are toast anyway, I’d give it a week on the cocktail then start using deadly force

Here are the cylinder walls. I disassembled everything and then knocked the pistons gently out the top from the bottom. What do you guys think about it now. I will get it bored 30 over.
596789-997f04eb322605a5b6c7090fdb262126.jpg
20200112_173241.jpg 20200112_173241.jpg 20200112_173247.jpg 20200112_173252.jpg
596788-b8b64a88378e7f39246648445ca82ea3.jpg

Attachments

• 20200112_173237.jpg
    20200112_173237.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200112_173202.jpg
    20200112_173202.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 77
Good on you. I was clearly wrong.
Still don't know why you went to all of the trouble, ...what engine is this?
I have no choice really.
I am not in the USA and getting a block shipped here is cost prohibitive. Finding one locally is impossible.
Thinking about a CHP 331 naturally aspirated with 185 AFR heads and performer RPM intake with Holley 650 with vacuum secondaries.
Need ideas for a good cam to match 2500 rpm stall C4 transmission

Glad you got it apart. Looks better than I thought, too. Might clean up OK.

No cam advise from me. Most people here like custom camshafts by Ed Curtis. He can make a camshaft for exactly what you want but not sure if he ships out of the country.

I have no choice really.
I am not in the USA and getting a block shipped here is cost prohibitive. Finding one locally is impossible.
Thinking about a CHP 331 naturally aspirated with 185 AFR heads and performer RPM intake with Holley 650 with vacuum secondaries.
Need ideas for a good cam to match 2500 rpm stall C4 transmission
Well knowing that you had no choice would’ve probably made more sense to as to why you were going through all the hassle.. Where are you located then?

That looks better than I thought it would too. What about the front cylinder in pic #5, the area about 1/2-2/3 the way down the cylinder at 3 o'clock in the pic? Is that pitting or is it just a bunch of crap on the cylinder wall? It's hard to tell in the pic, but it looks pitted. If it's pitted that'll determine how much you can have it bored, but from what I can see a .015" cut won't clean that one up so it may need sleeved. Otherwise they all look a lot better than expected given the original pics.

That looks better than I thought it would too. What about the front cylinder in pic #5, the area about 1/2-2/3 the way down the cylinder at 3 o'clock in the pic? Is that pitting or is it just a bunch of crap on the cylinder wall? It's hard to tell in the pic, but it looks pitted. If it's pitted that'll determine how much you can have it bored, but from what I can see a .015" cut won't clean that one up so it may need sleeved. Otherwise they all look a lot better than expected given the original pics.
Just a bunch of crap on the cylinder wall - no pitting