how to use the fuel line disconect tool

Texstang9682

Oct 8, 2006
Austin, Texas
Could some one tell me in detail how to use the fuel line disconect tool. I feel like an idiot:bang: I know it is the right tool, I just can't figure out how to use it. This is the only thing keeping me from putting on my PI intake. Some one please help me out. Any help is very much appreciated!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Put the tool around the line with the pointy side towards the fitting you want to undo. Next push the pointy end into the fitting, then while still pushing on it PULL on the OTHER end of the line (the one without the tool on it), should pop right off!

Let me give you a visual. It might help.

You have two couplers, a male and a female. As implied by the gender, the male coupler is inserted into the female. The male has a rib along the shaft. The female coupler has teeth on the inside. When you insert the male into the female, the female locks onto the male by biting onto the male's shaft with her teeth.

The tool goes around the male shaft. Start at the base of the shaft and slide it towards the female. The tool will enter the female to push her teeth of the male's shaft. If you do this very carefully, you'll be able to feel the teeth release from the male. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to get her to release her deathly grip. Make sure you are not pulling the male and female apart at this time. It will only make her teeth grab tighter. Once you got the teeth to release, you should be able to pull the male coupler away from the now unlocked female. Keep in mind that the tool stays with the male. You must hold the male coupler so you can pull it away from the female while pushing the tool towards the female to keep her teeth unlocked. It is an awkward motion. Try holding the male with your last two fingers and your palm. Use your first two fingers and thumb of the same hand to push the tool towards the female. Hold the female and only the female with your other hand and just keep her steady. Don't grab the tool with the hand holding the female. The tool stays with the male.

Try that...

• Happy
Reactions: 1 user

You have two couplers, a male and a female. As implied by the gender, the male coupler is inserted into the female. The male has a rib along the shaft. The female coupler has teeth on the inside. When you insert the male into the female, the female locks onto the male by biting onto the male's shaft with her teeth.

The tool goes around the male shaft. Start at the base of the shaft and slide it towards the female. The tool will enter the female to push her teeth of the male's shaft. If you do this very carefully, you'll be able to feel the teeth release from the male. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to get her to release her deathly grip. Make sure you are not pulling the male and female apart at this time. It will only make her teeth grab tighter. Once you got the teeth to release, you should be able to pull the male coupler away from the now unlocked female. Keep in mind that the tool stays with the male. You must hold the male coupler so you can pull it away from the female while pushing the tool towards the female to keep her teeth unlocked. It is an awkward motion. Try holding the male with your last two fingers and your palm. Use your first two fingers and thumb of the same hand to push the tool towards the female. Hold the female and only the female with your other hand and just keep her steady. Don't grab the tool with the hand holding the female. The tool stays with the male.

Try that...

I was gonna try and change my fuel filter soon, but damn, that sounds painful.

:rlaugh:

Try that...

:rlaugh: :rlaugh:

One more thing......... wrap a good sized rag around around the seperation
point....... unless you want a gasoline eye wash.

I have had the gasoline eye wash before, it sucks

What size of disconnect tool do you need. I bought a set of them (metal not the plastic) and I can't seem to get it to work. Does anyone have a link to a video showing exactly how to do this with the metal tools ?

Old thread brought back from the dad but I'm amazed that I missed this gem. :rlaugh:

View: https://youtu.be/vRTjYAxvaCs

Better to come back from the dad than the dead....that would seriously be creepy!

Any way, those spring lock fittings on fuel and a/c lines are a pain sometimes. You need the tool that fits snugly around the metal line. It helps to push together and pull apart the lines a little before you start in case they are stuck. Then when you insert the tool, try to pull the lines together....if they are being pulled apart at all, it's almost impossible to get the tool to release the lock.

Its funny this thread was brought up because i did mine today. Because i need to extend my fuel lines due to some performance mods.
But the a/c uses those same disconnect tools and THOSE were a real frikkin pain. Fuel lines werent a problem for me though. But like i said..different year.