How well do Foxes hold up in real crashes.

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
Dallas, GA
Ever been in a bad wreck in a fox or known someone who has? I've seen a lot of vids of crash tests where some older cars which we usually think as "tanks" getting folded up and destroyed by compact sissy cars.

I've seen plenty of Foxes in wrecks, and most of them held up pretty well.

• Sponsors (?)

What an awful video. Smashed a nice car (good purpose I know) and looks like it was filmed in the 30's.

5.0 motor with probably 30 miles on it gets dominated

chris.jpg

Had an '84 Capri t-top that I bought brand new... only had it for 6 months.
Fell asleep while driving on I-80... woke up to the sound of my t-tops whistling.
A little scray because my t-tops only whistled at 110 mph.
I was closing in on an 18 wheeler at twice his speed.
Swerved to the left lane to avoid hitting him.
Didn't work because I hit his back left corner pretty hard with my passenger side 1/4 panel.
This spun the ass end of my Capri around clockwise and then rode the lefthand guardrails for about 50'... ON THE GAS TANK!
Ripped the tank right out from under the car... luckily it didn't explode because it was topped off.
Came off the guardrails still going about 100 mph SIDEWAYS and was still passing the trucks trailer.
The front of my car went under the trailer and got run over by the trucks wheels.
This sent me spinning counter clockwise for two full revolutions.
Then I smashed into the righthand side guardrails and grinded down them for about 100'.
Finally it was over.
Was bleeding badly from the side of my head from hitting it on the t-top handle.
Lucky to be alive.
But the Capri wasn't totalled... they fixed it and I drove it for another 3 years.
They are tough little cars IMO.
Now pics of the Capri after the wreck. These are from back in the day before digital pics, so I had to scan the polaroids.

667390879_o5wHf-L.jpg

667391016_CLozK-L.jpg

667391169_Mty5W-L.jpg

And here's a pic after it was all fixed up... had the color changed since the whole car needed repainted.

667390753_2vqKh-L.jpg

mykilled7up.jpg
[/IMG]

not well in my case, 80mph and then mr redneck joe pulls out in front of ya.... (i literally cried in the shower over this wreck)

if you look where the front drivers light should be. yes sir thats the frame rail.. oddly enough, the hood latch had to be popped for me to get the hood off (how the heck it still was functional i dont know.. battery was almost ripped in two, you can see the top frame just about shattered into a thousand pieces as well..

my friend wreck a 92 gt and he broke his back he was in the hosp for a long time. his girl friend did not have her seat belt on and she did not make it. he tried to miss a dog that was in the road but he did not miss it. he had beer in the car but had not drank any and they was tring to get him for the death of his girl friend. he was lucky they tested his blood for alchol when he got to the hosp.

my friend wreck a 92 gt and he broke his back he was in the hosp for a long time. his girl friend did not have her seat belt on and she did not make it. he tried to miss a dog that was in the road but he did not miss it. he had beer in the car but had not drank any and they was tring to get him for the death of his girl friend. he was lucky they tested his blood for alchol when he got to the hosp.

thats F"D up..

Of course, no matter the condition of the car if it gets broadsided by a semi like the red LX above...nothing holds up...but...here's my take for your average fender bender:

If a car is rotted up front around the shocktower/framerail/K-frame area and gets in a fender bender, those rails WILL fold much easier and the car will be wrecked harder. If the car is solid up there, the rails will not bend as easily and can most likely be repaired.

Say a fox is rear ended. People think sub-frame connectors will save the car front damage, but they will actually cause more. When a car is impacted there are crush zones where the car is designed to crumble so the driver is not hurt and the car won't have transferable damage further up. IF the car has subs, the damage is transfered further up under the car making if harder to repair.

My advice...be careful out there. Get off your cell, stop text messaging, stop eating/drinking/smoking while you are driving. Don't tailgate people, look before crossing intersections...

....Yeah I know..."Okay Mom..." :rlaugh:

Was bleeding badly from the side of my head from hitting it on the t-top handle.

you're lucky man. my brother was driving home from work one day in his t top 86 mustang that had a 93 cobra bodykit on it and a 6 point cage. he went to pass his boss who he was following and got bad wheel hop at 75mph and spun out into the median which was a grass ditch, then up into opposing traffic where an f350 pulling a 40ft flatbed broad sided him on the drivers side. the doctor said he died from massive head trauma...when he went down into the median, his seatbelt ripped and he hit his head on the t top handle. the truck literally ripped his car in half and the cage just fell out. when the news was reporting on his wreck, they said it was a corvette because no one could identify what type of car it was.

you're lucky man. my brother was driving home from work one day in his t top 86 mustang that had a 93 cobra bodykit on it and a 6 point cage. he went to pass his boss who he was following and got bad wheel hop at 75mph and spun out into the median which was a grass ditch, then up into opposing traffic where an f350 pulling a 40ft flatbed broad sided him on the drivers side. the doctor said he died from massive head trauma...when he went down into the median, his seatbelt ripped and he hit his head on the t top handle. the truck literally ripped his car in half and the cage just fell out. when the news was reporting on his wreck, they said it was a corvette because no one could identify what type of car it was.

Damn, sorry about your loss. All that and you're still driving a fox even after losing your brother in one. Of course any car would have done that in a similar wreck. I had a 97 Z28 and i always wondered why they made the t-top handles the way they did. Plastic and flush against the t-top and hard to get to. I figured it was just GM crappy interior design, but I guess there was a good reason for it.