HPM subframes???

Black Stang 97

the guy on top of me is funny
Nov 11, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Well im probably going to be doing some HPM subframes on my car...they are zinc coted which are a plus...i know they are probably nothing near the MM but from the 3 shops ive asked....they have to modify the tranny crossmember in order to fit them....and for the HPM ones no modifications are needed...i got quoted 200 for everything for the HPM and 341 for the MM full length....whats do you guys think???

• Sponsors (?)

If you're going to have someone weld them in, be sure to let them know what you expect. The guy (Scott) in Vegas that did mine did a sloppy weld job. When I complained about his work he said, "you should have told me you wanted 'Show' quality". :rolleyes:

lmao.... show quality...

I can't weld for **** (appearance wise), but my **** always holds. I'm assuming his were spotty and he missed the connection weld a lot? Or he just had a nasty bead? A nasty bead is fine as long as its blended properly.

myponyrocks said:
lmao.... show quality...

I can't weld for **** (appearance wise), but my **** always holds. I'm assuming his were spotty and he missed the connection weld a lot? Or he just had a nasty bead? A nasty bead is fine as long as its blended properly.

It's held for many years but honestly, I did a better job in my high school welding class. Scott is that dude in Vegas that opened (I think it was called) DynoTune. Thinks he's all that but saw many complaints about his work and attitude after the fact. Vegas sucks when it comes to performance shops (unless you have the money to go directly to Carrol Shelby.)

Speeds8erM-1 said:
So the HPM's go on without modifying the cross member? My friend just got a 97 Cobra and I told him to put some subframes on it ASAP but found out alot are a pita to do on a 96-98 Cobra because of the cross member.

yup.......thats what i got form 3 different shops i went to....thats the reason
why im doing the hpm ones....other wise id be going the MM route all the way.....:nice:

well i mheading out to the shop....ill bring back pix....

Speeds8erM-1 said:
I dunno, all the KB's I have ever seen were built like twigs, even the big ass double diamond ones I had my 94 Z28 were not impressive.

Twigs...? As in what? Thickness? I have the KB SS Matrix kit with jacking rails and there's nothing twig like about them.