Hub Centric vs. Not Hub Centric

tjm73

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2000
Rush, NY
Hub Centric vs. Not Hub Centric ???

I was admiring my "new" 98 GT last night and I got to thinking the rear whels need to come out about an inch. So I thought I'll just get me a set of wheel spacers.

So I searched here and sure enough others have done this. So I'm thinking done deal.

I go out and look up 1"/25 mm spacers. I found 2 kinds. I found the Maximum Motosports $150 hub-centric spacers and I found 1" not hub centric for $90.

What's the difference? I mean I know heres a ring that perfectly centers the hub centric spacers and not a ring on the others. Besides that is there any benefit? If you torque the not hub centric wheel spacers down correctly and then bolt the wheels on correctly won't they be correctly centered anyway?

• Sponsors (?)

I have the hub centric 1.25" ones and they are worth the extra money IMO. In this size, they do allow the rear wheels to be flush with the body. Maybe we can clearify here, but my defination of hub centric is that they have the studs on them and the non-hub centric ones don't. Therefore with the hub centric you get the full lenghth of the threads on the studs whereas the non-hubcentric have just holes that the stock studs stick through and limit the amount of threads available for the lugs.

LI98GTStang, you're definition of hubcentric is not something I've heard.
Hubcentric IS the extra ring on the more expensive spacers that keeps the wheel perfectly centered when you're installing it. The non hubcentric type rely on the taper of the wheel lugs to center the wheel. If the lugs are not tightened properly with the non-hubcentric rings you will almost always end up with a vibration.

Personally, I'd pay the little bit extra for the hubcentric spacers to know for a fact that my wheels are on perfect.

AdRock said:
LI98GTStang, you're definition of hubcentric is not something I've heard.
Hubcentric IS the extra ring on the more expensive spacers that keeps the wheel perfectly centered when you're installing it. The non hubcentric type rely on the taper of the wheel lugs to center the wheel. If the lugs are not tightened properly with the non-hubcentric rings you will almost always end up with a vibration.

Personally, I'd pay the little bit extra for the hubcentric spacers to know for a fact that my wheels are on perfect.
i think this is the correct definition of hub centric...

the ones that don't have the studs on them are washer spacers.