Humbly asking for advice on 93 Cobra

I'm new to Mustangs but always loved the fox body since I was little and I'm looking for one to be my next project car. I definitely want to add a Procharger in the future, that's a must for me. Looking through craigslist I found a 93 Cobra for sale which the interior looks very clean however my Mustang knowledge is very limited right now, my knowledge is more in import cars (especially the WRX/STIs). I'd really appreciate any input or advise, pros and cons etc. Thanks in advance.

Here's the link to the CL ad.

93 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra Project

• Sponsors (?)

I just read the sticky of how to tell if it is a Cobra and it seems the only way to tell is the "D" engine code in the VIN. Assuming this is a real Cobra, do you guys think its a good buy considering the way it sits now and the mods he did?

Verify that it's a real Cobra for your own peace of mind. Obviously the Cobra rear wing is missing, are there signs it has ever had one ? Also the tailights look doctored and un-Cobra like. If you heard a clunk in the rear check it out thoroughly, make sure the torque boxes aren't toast.

While the price at a glance may seem like a steal, it's not.
As someone that has recently priced out a paint job, $3500-$6000 seems like the local numbers around here for something good.
So right off the bat you are in it 8 to 10 grand.
Then you need to finish the interior (the right way with leather), tires then sort out any gremlins that are probably going to nickel and dime you.

For 13.5 you could buy this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-SVT-Cobra-Mustang-1-Family-Owned-Bone-Stock-3397-/280711463655?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item415bb502e7

IMO, it's an easy choice.
Fit and finished or somebody else's headache.
It would take you 30 grand to make the car you are asking about into the one in the ebay ad.

I realize that your choices in the Islands will be fairly limited, but this car is going to take a lot of work to get on the road and looking good. If you don't have any experience working on Mustangs, this car is going to give you a pretty steep learning curve and cost you a bunch, especially with the prices to ship parts to Hawaii. Personally, I'd hold out for a better, more complete car. In Seattle, $4500 will buy you a pretty darned nice GT. Add another $1500 to ship it over and for six grand you're rollin' in style without two years of wrenching to get there.

I realize that your choices in the Islands will be fairly limited, but this car is going to take a lot of work to get on the road and looking good. If you don't have any experience working on Mustangs, this car is going to give you a pretty steep learning curve and cost you a bunch, especially with the prices to ship parts to Hawaii. Personally, I'd hold out for a better, more complete car. In Seattle, $4500 will buy you a pretty darned nice GT. Add another $1500 to ship it over and for six grand you're rollin' in style without two years of wrenching to get there.

^^^ This makes a lot of sense. I've got my 92 lx that is spotless that I paid $5800 for, and a 93 project in the barn that $5800 wouldn't begin to start making it as nice as my 92.

Granted, I had to get on an airplane to go get my 92, despite the cost of the plane ticket I was still money ahead.

The fact that the car may be a real cobra does make it more valuable than a mustang, but as stated, you can go anywhere in the states and buy a fine cobra for 12-15k.

Thanks for all the input so far guys. Sorry, forgot to mention that I also want to eventually paint it in the future, as I really like how the fox body looks in sonic blue, budget permitting of course lol. Based on your guy's inputs I think I shall keep looking for a pre-93 GT as those have the forged pistons since I do want to add a Procharger. Keep the advise coming, thanks.

:lol:

30 grand? Does that include the turbo dart 347 and T56? lol.

I think 4.5k is fair for an Original Cobra in that shape. From looking at the ad, the car actually seems to be clean and in pretty good condition; better than most 87-93 LX/GTs selling for 3-5k on CL. :shrug:

That would be an estimate including the car purchase.
Not sure if you are aware how much it takes to restore a car as badly beat as the one in the ad. Once you let a car get messed up and worn down, it's extremely expensive to bring it back.
Price out some resto parts from LMR and see how quick you are in the hole.
I assure you, just to get that cobra in decent shape will cost you more than buying a better one.

And since he wants sonic blue, that would make that car really not worth the money.
That car is for someone skilled that wants a black 93 cobra.

:lol:

I think 4.5k is fair for an Original Cobra in that shape. From looking at the ad, the car actually seems to be clean and in pretty good condition; better than most 87-93 LX/GTs selling for 3-5k on CL. :shrug:

Yeah, I was thinking that also looking at the interior, looks very clean and has racing seats which I am gonna put anyway so that's a savings right there. Still kind of on the fence on this one. Would I be better off finding a pre-93 GT because it has forged pistons because I want to supercharge it?

Yeah, I was thinking that also looking at the interior, looks very clean and has racing seats which I am gonna put anyway so that's a savings right there. Still kind of on the fence on this one. Would I be better off finding a pre-93 GT because it has forged pistons because I want to supercharge it?

"Racing seats"? Dude, it has $150 O'Reilly's Auto Parts seats in it.

A real 93 Cobra, whatever you do, don't butcher it or gut it out to make a race car. There are plenty of GT's out there for that. If I had a 93 Cobra, I would just make it stock but improved. For instance, I might have the heads and intake ported, and even might add a supercharger or turbo, but I wouldn't change it otherwise. I saw a 93 Cobra a few months ago where it was converted to carb, no A/C or anything. What's funny was the guy was asking a preimuim for it because it's a real factory Cobra... my response was "well it WAS a Cobra when it left the FACTORY.

What's funny is that there is a guy I know with a 93 Cobra that is real nice, but has some mechanical issues and he said he's about done with it... he likes my truck.... about the same blue book value.... so who knows. I doubt it will happen but that would be sweet.

A real 93 Cobra, whatever you do, don't butcher it or gut it out to make a race car. There are plenty of GT's out there for that. If I had a 93 Cobra, I would just make it stock but improved. For instance, I might have the heads and intake ported, and even might add a supercharger or turbo, but I wouldn't change it otherwise. I saw a 93 Cobra a few months ago where it was converted to carb, no A/C or anything. What's funny was the guy was asking a preimuim for it because it's a real factory Cobra... my response was "well it WAS a Cobra when it left the FACTORY.

What's funny is that there is a guy I know with a 93 Cobra that is real nice, but has some mechanical issues and he said he's about done with it... he likes my truck.... about the same blue book value.... so who knows. I doubt it will happen but that would be sweet.

I understand what you mean, I'm gonna look for a GT instead. I kind of figured it would be sacrilege to paint a Cobra a non-factory color which would kill the value of it. Thanks for everyone's input, I'll post another thread when I find a GT eventually.

This info from the ad would concern me:

"I also moved it out of my garage recently and heard a clunk in the rear end I have not had time to look what it is."

"Car will need to be towed.Bullitt wheels are NOT included."

Does it drive ? Makes me wonder if the rear end is locked up or something...

if youre wanting to do some kind of resto with a color change and engine mods etc, id steer clear or a cobra even for that price. yes youll be in it for a good chunk of change when its all said and done but a cobra thats not a factory color even restored wont bring what a red/black/teal one would. Youd be better off with an LX or a GT, you can do whatever the hell you want to one of those and no one will care.

I'd be interested in it but the price would have to come way down. I'm really curious about how clean the car is as far as rust. The pics he posted doesn't really show you much. Ask the guy for more pics!