Hurst 391-0036 (87-93) only?

doctorj357

5 Year Member
Aug 7, 2018
Michigan
Anyone have any knowledge of this shifter? Would it fit a T5 for a 94/95?

Found one NIB for pretty cheap, but want to put it in my 95. My question is, the box shows (87-93), but I thought the T5 was the same all the way through? It appears to be a discontinued model, but what little I could find online, sounds like its not so much to do with the shifter itself, but the console being different on a fox vs sn95.

Anyway price is cheap enough it has my attention. I always wanted a hurst (yes I know there are other options) but I just like the style.

• Sponsors (?)

Here's the picture from the for sale post

bHURqGh.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
That's the exact same shifter my 87 has in it.

It's decent, but I prefer the shorter handle (black) Hurst to that one. Not enough to change it though. How cheap is cheap? If it is dirt, go buy it and give it a shot. Good luck

Picked it up last night for $125. The guy said he bought it at some speed shop back around 2000 when he had a Fox but never installed it and eventually sold the car. So its been 21'ish years sitting in the original box in his garage. Looked it over last night and everything appears to be just as advertised.

I think the only gripe I read on these (probably why hurst discontinued it) is the base is cast and were prone to cracking if abused to much.

Sorry to say, I don't think you really got it all that cheap.
A pro 5.0 is $184 from lmr and you could have probably gotten a discount code (or shopped around).

I had the short throw version of that shifter back in the day.
Loved the short bent handle, the shifter, not so much.
Rattled like hell.

Well I guess my rational was is in contrast to the price of new hurst. But sure, there's always probably better brands/options for not a lot more money. For me its just a personal preference as I just like the look of hurst. Car sees less than 3k miles a year and I don't rag on it. Figured can't be any worse than the stock shifter at least

Reactions: 1 user
Well I guess my rational was is in contrast to the price of new hurst. But sure, there's always probably better brands/options for not a lot more money. For me its just a personal preference as I just like the look of hurst. Car sees less than 3k miles a year and I don't rag on it. Figured can't be any worse than the stock shifter at least

Don't get me wrong, it's far better than the stock shifter.
I just remember how bad mine rattled and i too prefer a shorter shifter.
I still have the short bent handle from my original, one day i had hoped to adapt it to fit on my tko shifter (which is a tri ax).

I seriously doubt you will break it if my 19 year old self didn't.

With pro 5.0 shifters NIB on ebay for $160 (which was the goto shifter after the hurst), i probably would have recommended that.
But not the end of the world.

Based on your reply you did just fine. I do like the look of the chrome handle on mine, reminds me of my 1969 GTO.

As far as the rattle comments, something wasn't right, tight or set up properly because mine makes no noises at all. (And neither did any of my prior Hurst shifters) ...and it's far superior to the stock shifter. Pro 5.0 is good, but the handle is too short for my taste, but that's just me. Original short handle Hurst comp plus is my favorite, then this one. As said I highly doubt you'll crack the base.

If you have stock now, you'll love the Hurst. Just be sure you set the over travel stops correctly and you'll be in business. Let us know what you think after you get it installed. :nice: