Hurst Competition shifter problems in 70 Mach I

automart

Jan 26, 2006
Nashville, TN
I haven't been here in awhile. Finally finished my car, anyway, it pops out of gear in 2nd and 4th gear while coasting with my hand off of the shifter. I've tried adjusting, re adjusting and adjusting again with no much luck. I removed the 4 spd toploader which was freshly rebuilt and took it to the transmission shop, they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I reinstalled the transmission, adjusted the shifter and still pops out. The shop thinks my shifter maybe the problem. It was a new Hurst Competition Plus I bought in 05 from CJ Pony parts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Ronnie

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds to me like the shifter's not engaging the trans either due to boot or floor interferance. Might also try the steel shiftter bushings too if you haven't already. If all else fails, your trans guy may have left some parts out of the transmission. There are springs & retainer clips inside the sliders that could be missing or worn and not changed when he did the deed.

Thanks, I was wondering about the boot, I have tried to stretch it but yes, it does seem tight. I hate to cut it but I have another one and will try it.
No, I have not put in different bushings, I'm using the ones that came with the shifter.
I'll try the boot and see what happens,

Thanks

Hurst still makes steel shifter bushings to replace the nylon ones that come with the install kits. Log onto their website to get the part numbers. Summit Racing sells them, if you know the part number. I don't recall the numbers off hand. They will cause some rattling noise from the shifter, but the feel is improved with em. I use em on mine.

Remove your boot and drive it first before cutting it. Also, as said above, use the steel bushings on the rods and make sure they're adjusted right. Then check the that the stops are adjusted right.

Gosh, thanks for all the advise. I will remove the boot before cutting, which means removing the console, which means removing the gauges, ha.
I have set the adjustments according to the instructions with the pin easily going in and out, not a problem there. I've also tried to adjust the 3rd & 4th gear rod a little differently which helped but then it was hard to shift from 2nd to 3rd.
I have removed the stop on the front, the rear is in just enough to hold the reverse light switch. Maybe I need to remove that too just to see.

Thanks,

Ronnie

Gosh, thanks for all the advise. I will remove the boot before cutting, which means removing the console, which means removing the gauges, ha.
I have set the adjustments according to the instructions with the pin easily going in and out, not a problem there. I've also tried to adjust the 3rd & 4th gear rod a little differently which helped but then it was hard to shift from 2nd to 3rd.
I have removed the stop on the front, the rear is in just enough to hold the reverse light switch. Maybe I need to remove that too just to see.

Thanks,

Ronnie

well when you do start removing possible causes of your problem (shifter boot/reverse lamp switch) make sure you do it one part at a time. id start with the most likely(boot) then if it still does it remove (lamp switch) so on and so on... just a little tip... so you dont end up with too many pieces off all at once..