Hurst Shifter Installed!

GSAgentED

Mar 30, 2005
Finally after about 6 hrs under the car in this heat, the shifter is finally installed, and best of all it works. Boy is that thing a pain in the ass to install, pics up as soon as I wash the car.

• Sponsors (?)

ooh yeah I did, two things I had trouble with were the connector bolt, such a tight fit in there that i could only use a wrench, but all the wrenchs I had in 10mm were short, had to get a piece of pipe to use as a breaker bar. The other thing was getting the shifter in I had to loosen the cross bar just a bit so it would drop so I could fit it up there. It also didnt help that the car was only up like 2 ft off the ground, but cant complain nothing better then laying on a piece of cardboard under your car all day. :)

Oh man, that's crazy! Glad you got in in, but sheesh! Getting it through the hole can be done without taking anything apart. You just have to try different angles and not worry about getting it in place first, but just getting it through the hole. Once is down there next to the trans, then you get underneath and move it into place.

Yeah I slipped mine in from the top, it went right through the hole with no problems once I got the perfect angle. Took about 45 minutes, taking my time. Of course I did it with a lift, so figure it owulda been 2 hours on the floor.

But anyway, now that it's in congrats, I'm sure you'll love it!

Pics Up

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

I fought with mine from the bottom for about 25 minutes before I realized the only way to get it out is by dropping the part that actually connects to the linkage down over the passenger side of the tranny.

Once I figured that out (thanks MGW website for a video install) it was out in literally seconds.

If I had to do it all again, I'm SURE I could change out the whole shifter in less than 30 minutes.

I've got an MGW in mine and I honestly had no idea how bad the stock shifter was. :)

wow, I took out my Hurst stamped and installed the Hurst billet in about 30 min yesterday.. The billet one is even easier as it slips in from the bottom no problem. They seem to work about the same but the billet one looks damn nice :) too bad you can not see it in the car but it is just the principle of it lol. Anyway now I have a near new Hurst stamped version that will be on ebay since the billet one is in.

Heck I installed the Steada ultralight springs and swapped shifters and had 5 hours into it total including 5 beers lol. On a side note I like the Steada springs. Ride seems fine and the stance is MUCH better. No longer is my stang a monster truck.

So what's the difference between the billit and stamped?
Does it shift any better or is it just looks?

it is more rigid. this in theory provides better shifts. the standard stamped unit is not as strong and can deflect under hard shifting.

that being said, i have the standard hurst shifter and have not had any problems, even at the track. i am also installing the standard hurst in my brother in laws car tomorrow.