Fox Hurst V-matic Shifter ?

SF Lex

Advanced Member
Mar 8, 2016
CoCo County, California
Does anyone have any after market shifter installed in their AOD automatic transmission shift knob ? This part says it fits with my AOD automatic on Amazon, but would like to know exactly how it works, and if it is worth updating ? Do any of you use any other type of shifters on your Foxbody Stangs ? How hard is this to install i wonder ? I just read ont he description someone fried their transmission putting in the part. Not sure if he did not know how to install it correctly, or his transmission was already bad, or it really did mess it up ? Anyone have any experiences to share, or info please ? Thanks

Amazon product ASIN B00C5SEI0IView: https://www.amazon.com/Hurst-3838530-V-Matic-3-Shifter/dp/B00C5SEI0I/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Ford%7C54&Model=Mustang%7C688&Year=1992%7C1992&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Attachments

• shifteraodgt.jpg
    shifteraodgt.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 255
  • Sponsors (?)

The only aftermarket shifter made for the AOD that I know of is the B&M Hammer Shifter. I have it but too be honest it's hit or miss with the quality. It's also a ratchet shifter with a reverse lockout. Although it is not a direct fit, the quicksilver is a better quality shifter but takes fabricaton to make it fit and look well in the stock shifter location. Not a particularly hard install,but it does include you getting under the car a few times to adjust the shifter cable. Some guys had issues with the cable being long enough for the new shifter to go through all the gears and sometimes it takes multiiple times to go under the car to adjust the cable to get it right. It's hard to "fry" a transmission installing a new shifter, as it doesn't control shift points or line pressure, unless you really scew up with the shfter cable. The shifter you are looking at is designed for cars without a console so I don't know how it will fit or look in the stock location. It's also double the price of the Hammer shifter.
20160513_185241.jpg

If your car is stock or if you don't race the car, there's no advantage in replacing the stock AOD shifter other than maybe the looks.

Reactions: 2 users
The only aftermarket shifter made for the AOD that I know of is the B&M Hammer Shifter. I have it but too be honest it's hit or miss with the quality. It's also a ratchet shifter with a reverse lockout. Although it is not a direct fit, the quicksilver is a better quality shifter but takes fabricaton to make it fit and look well in the stock shifter location. Not a particularly hard install,but it does include you getting under the car a few times to adjust the shifter cable. Some guys had issues with the cable being long enough for the new shifter to go through all the gears and sometimes it takes multiiple times to go under the car to adjust the cable to get it right. It's hard to "fry" a transmission installing a new shifter, as it doesn't control shift points or line pressure, unless you really scew up with the shfter cable. The shifter you are looking at is designed for cars without a console so I don't know how it will fit or look in the stock location. It's also double the price of the Hammer shifter.
20160513_185241.jpg

If your car is stock or if you don't race the car, there's no advantage in replacing the stock AOD shifter other than maybe the looks.

I had the pro stick in my old fox and LOVED it. Of course, it was on a 3spd trans, not an AOD, but the description says it works on an AOD. To me it just feels better shifting as does the trigger vs the typical "T" lockout. I was also never a fan of T handle shifters, but to each his own.

Here's the pro stick:http://www.jegs.com/i/B&M/130/80706...k5YjPXI_CkwGxHAln96Ts0bZTXEZV6PutYaArpy8P8HAQ

Reactions: 1 user