HVAC controls retrofit

stangbear427

Nov 11, 2002
New England
I have a set of the arguably better looking HVAC controls with trim besel from a '93 I'd like to put in my wife's '89, anyone know if it'll work before I go ripping hers out? I know it will bolt in, just wondering about the plugs on the back. If it wont just plug in and work, it isn't worth it. Anyone done it in a pre-'90 Fox?

• Sponsors (?)

BlahBlahson said:
can i see a pic of this?? i wasnt aware the 90+ foxes had different hvac controls
Yeah, the '90+ ones have the fan control on the left, the knobs are smaller and the trim besel is just one big opening for all three knobs, where the '87-'89 have three round openings in the besel and the HVAC selector is on the left. Here's mine and my wife's, it should give you an idea what the newer ones look like even though I have the white face and billet knobs:

dsc01584.jpg

dsc00868.jpg

i think its kickass ur wife drives a 5.0 as well...

and now that i see it... i have seen those sontrols before, i guess i never really conscienciously noticed they were different

now that i see em side by side, i like the bigger, separated knobs better, and im glad thsoe r the ones i have hehe

C'mon Adam, don't you have anything productive to add? :D DETAILS MAN! Actually, I pulled it out today and see what you mean, but since you said "done that", I'm assuming you got it bolted in somehow? I think I can figure that out too, what I'm really curious about is this: once I started loosening up the left control plug (with the HVAC job selector) something started hissing. Are those vacuum lines? Am I going to run into any problems unplugging this?

I did the switch on my wife's 87 as well. You'll need the control head, switches, knobs, and trim panel. The switches are in different locations, but the wiring, vacuum, and cable you currently have will reach and will work just fine. No other parts are required. :nice:

I had to lengthen the yellow vacuum line that goes to the defroster damper on mine. It was not long enough to reach when I swapped the controls. And the electrical connection for the fan switch is a bit short. I had to work with it a bit to give me enough room to connect it up. To fit it in the 87-89 dash, I drilled two new holes in the 90-93 panel that matched up with the mounting points on the dash, since the holes are in different locations. Overall, it is a much nicer look IMO.