Hydraulic Clutch Kit

clint48

Jul 18, 2017
Hello and I am a new member from the MS Gulf Coast. Have purchased a '99 Mustang ( Cobra ) with upgrades and high performance mods. Clutch pedal is very stiff as is not uncommon with a lot of mustangs ( this is my ninth one). Attempted to order a hydraulic kit from McLeod Racing thru Late Model Restoration. They (McLeod) say they are waiting on a part, don,t know when it will come , and when it gets there they do not know when they can ship it out. I placed my order over a month ago. Because I had a left foot injury that didn't heal properly the present setup on the car is extremely difficult for me to deal with. I haven't owned an automatic for the last 22 years, so it's not like I'm not accustomed to mashing a clutch.
Looking for helpful suggestions. I have a hydraulic set up on my '98 Cobra which is pretty much stock. I don't know if it would be workable on the '99 or not considering the horsepower difference. As I said I said any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

• Sponsors(?)

robertsa

Apr 22, 2017
San Antonio
There's not much difference in power between a '98 and '99 Cobra. I don't know if they are compatible though.

Neuron

Mustang Master
Nov 6, 2016
I was able to keep driving a stick longer(bad knee) with a change to a Center Force Clutch in my '98 Cobra( finally gave up and sold it and bought my current Auto GT), it was easier/as easy to push in as a Honda Civic. I would sure think the '98/'99 would interchange, '98 305HP vs '99 320HP(after factory fix) so only 15hp, negligible.

clint48

Jul 18, 2017
Thanks for your replies, but my concern was that the '99 has over 400 hp as it is supercharged.

Neuron

Mustang Master
Nov 6, 2016
I need some education here, what difference does the horsepower make in clutch operating systems being used?

clint48

Jul 18, 2017
Believe me I'm trying to get educated too! I was concerned because of the heavy duty clutch they recommended I get because of the mods on the car ( It is a Ram Powergrip KIt ). Went to a reputable shop today to ask about using the one out of my '98 for the '99. I had already talked to them about installing a new one They weren't optimistic about it and said they would have to research it. I didn't realize it would have all of these complications, but I keep reminding myself that not everybody can work on Mustangs. Again I welcome any helpful suggestions.

robertsa

Apr 22, 2017
San Antonio
I don't normally try to speak for others, but I believe he was questioning what the clutch pedal and hydraulic actuator have to do with the clutch itself.

Looking around, they are the same from 79-04 or 96-04, depending on which kit you get. It does mention for both that the engine must be lowered with a 4v 4.6 for coilover clearance. I have seen that mentioned elsewhere as well, so believe it to be true.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/fo...ansmission/hydraulic-clutch-conversion-kits-1

clint48

Jul 18, 2017
The person I bought the car from is a mechanic. He text me back to say the one from the '98 would work but obviously not just anybody can or will do it. The guys at the shop talked about a new one would be easier. i agree but getting it certainly is not.

clint48

Jul 18, 2017
Wanted to thank both of you guys for responding to my inquiry. It seemed the tech was uncomfortable with me trying to order that kit.. I guess he had his reasons.

Reactions: 85ragtop
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pops Fun Hydraulic Clutch Assist kit 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 5
0 Expired Brand New Mcleod 96-04 Hydraulic Clutch Kit And Mcleod Street Pro T5 T45 Clutch - Central California Engine and Power Adder Parts 4
66warhorse Expired Cnc Hydraulic Clutch Kit Parts $100 Obo Drivetrain Parts 0
Sam8950 Drivetrain Best Hydraulic Clutch Kit For T-56? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
JymboSlice McLeod Hydraulic Clutch Conversion Kit SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 18
E JMC Hydraulic Clutch Kit Conversion Engine and Power Adder 0
4MuscleMachines Need Help, Who makes a nice hydraulic clutch kit for 70 stock Mustangs? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
XXBULLETSXX JMC hydraulic clutch kit Classic Mustang Specific Tech 6
tamadrummer88 Hydraulic clutch kits..... Classic Mustang Specific Tech 22
69Rcode_Mach1 JMC Hydraulic clutch kit Classic Mustang Specific Tech 7
R CNC Hydraulic Clutch kit for T-5 trans Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
S will JMC hydraulic clutch kit work with a t-five bellhousing? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 7
H Hydraulic Clutch Kits? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
chepsk8 Does anybody make a Hydraulic Clutch Kit for a 5.0 GT? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
D Headers with Trick Flow heads and T5 Hydraulic clutch? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 3
My92cashtrap Fox Hydraulic Clutch...Pros/Cons 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 1
robthechemist Any benefit to upgrading the top loader bell housing to a T5 bell when doing a T5 conversion? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 2
M SOLD Hays 650 Clutch Billet Flywheel Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing Drivetrain Parts 1
Ray's 69 Mach1 Which Clutch Linkage Is Best-oem-cable-hydraulic 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 6
robert912005 Hydraulic Clutch Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
W V6 & T5 with external slave hydraulic clutch anyone? SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 0
Americansilver Engine Hydraulic Clutch SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 2
1967stang302 How to upgrade from cable to hydraulic clutch Classic Mustang Specific Tech 7
F Hydraulic Clutch Problems Classic Mustang Specific Tech 12
GrandeStang73 Hydraulic Clutch Issues Classic Mustang Specific Tech 16
65-347 cable or hydraulic clutch for T-5 Classic Mustang Specific Tech 18
F Anyone with a Master Power Brake Booster and Hydraulic Clutch Classic Mustang Specific Tech 14
wicked93gs Anyone use a pull-type slave on a hydraulic clutch setup? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 2
dcstang67 Hydraulic clutch cnc master cylinder Classic Mustang Specific Tech 5
C JMC hydraulic clutch and Power brakes.? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 23
bennettracing Hydraulic Clutch Setup Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
mustang67408 Hydraulic Clutch Classic Mustang Specific Tech 5
J Hydraulic clutch set up for sale Engine and Power Adder 1
65fastbackresto Hydraulic clutch installed but... Classic Mustang Specific Tech 10
6 Anybody used stock Ford parts for a Hydraulic Clutch? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 26
M Hydraulic clutch conversion? 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 3
R Cable to Hydraulic clutch conversion Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
C hydraulic clutch conversion for 86 5.0 Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 22
R Where to find MC from JMC hydraulic clutch? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 9
fairlaniac Hydraulic clutch in a 66 Fairlane - JMC? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 7
S 07 Hydraulic clutch 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 5
69gmachine Hydraulic Clutch adjustment Classic Mustang Specific Tech 12
RTGreen Hydraulic clutch conversion Classic Mustang Specific Tech 14
67P51 JMC HYDRAULIC CLUTCH QUESTIONS Classic Mustang Specific Tech 13
robbo1987*2.3* 1996chevy s-10, 2-wheel drive,hydraulic clutch 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 6
B 300ZX Hydraulic Clutch Classic Mustang Specific Tech 35
P cnc hydraulic t5 clutch part 2-need suggestions Classic Mustang Specific Tech 9
P hydraulic clutch bleeding PIA..need suggestions Classic Mustang Specific Tech 6
Swede958 Possible T-5 hydraulic clutch option... Nissan sourced Classic Mustang Specific Tech 15
T Hydraulic Clutch Adjustment Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4