Hydraulic Clutch Kit

clint48

Jul 18, 2017
Hello and I am a new member from the MS Gulf Coast. Have purchased a '99 Mustang ( Cobra ) with upgrades and high performance mods. Clutch pedal is very stiff as is not uncommon with a lot of mustangs ( this is my ninth one). Attempted to order a hydraulic kit from McLeod Racing thru Late Model Restoration. They (McLeod) say they are waiting on a part, don,t know when it will come , and when it gets there they do not know when they can ship it out. I placed my order over a month ago. Because I had a left foot injury that didn't heal properly the present setup on the car is extremely difficult for me to deal with. I haven't owned an automatic for the last 22 years, so it's not like I'm not accustomed to mashing a clutch.
Looking for helpful suggestions. I have a hydraulic set up on my '98 Cobra which is pretty much stock. I don't know if it would be workable on the '99 or not considering the horsepower difference. As I said I said any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I was able to keep driving a stick longer(bad knee) with a change to a Center Force Clutch in my '98 Cobra( finally gave up and sold it and bought my current Auto GT), it was easier/as easy to push in as a Honda Civic. I would sure think the '98/'99 would interchange, '98 305HP vs '99 320HP(after factory fix) so only 15hp, negligible.

Believe me I'm trying to get educated too! I was concerned because of the heavy duty clutch they recommended I get because of the mods on the car ( It is a Ram Powergrip KIt ). Went to a reputable shop today to ask about using the one out of my '98 for the '99. I had already talked to them about installing a new one They weren't optimistic about it and said they would have to research it. I didn't realize it would have all of these complications, but I keep reminding myself that not everybody can work on Mustangs. Again I welcome any helpful suggestions.

I don't normally try to speak for others, but I believe he was questioning what the clutch pedal and hydraulic actuator have to do with the clutch itself.

Looking around, they are the same from 79-04 or 96-04, depending on which kit you get. It does mention for both that the engine must be lowered with a 4v 4.6 for coilover clearance. I have seen that mentioned elsewhere as well, so believe it to be true.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/fo...ansmission/hydraulic-clutch-conversion-kits-1

The person I bought the car from is a mechanic. He text me back to say the one from the '98 would work but obviously not just anybody can or will do it. The guys at the shop talked about a new one would be easier. i agree but getting it certainly is not.

Wanted to thank both of you guys for responding to my inquiry. It seemed the tech was uncomfortable with me trying to order that kit.. I guess he had his reasons.

Reactions: 1 user