Hydraulic clutch kits.....

tamadrummer88

Aug 19, 2005
Aloha State
ok,

So I am converting my C4 auto 68 to a T-5, and I have everything, including the crossmember. I dont want to use a cable setup, so i want to use a hydraulic setup. Anybody know of any good hydraulic clutch kits? what worries me is how the master for the clutch is gonna mount next to the brake booster, being how the master needs to be directly behind the pedal in order for the plunget to be pushed in (at least that was what I was told)

Anybody? ill appreciate the help.

John

• Sponsors (?)

68Eleclone said:
ok,

So I am converting my C4 auto 68 to a T-5, and I have everything, including the crossmember. I dont want to use a cable setup, so i want to use a hydraulic setup. Anybody know of any good hydraulic clutch kits? what worries me is how the master for the clutch is gonna mount next to the brake booster, being how the master needs to be directly behind the pedal in order for the plunget to be pushed in (at least that was what I was told)

Anybody? ill appreciate the help.

John

The only bolt in kits I've seen are the JMC ones. But a bit pricey. They use a CNC master that they've modified to fit the Mustang. I basicaly bought the CNC pieces and modified the master myself. Saved some money and it was a fun project
570535_39_full.jpg

You want the Master cylinder to be on a bit of an angle so the rod pushes straight.
Reservoir mounted behind driver side shock tower
570535_103_full.jpg

Slave cylinder mounted to homemade bracket on T5
570535_71_full.jpg

Great set-up :nice:

Looks real good. It's basically the same thing I did on my 73, but a lot cleaner. I noticed after 2 years of driving that I had a little fluid leaking where the pushrod fits into the slave cylinder. I'm going to order a replacement and keep it handy just in case. Nice bracket. How exactly did you modify the master?

jikelly said:
. Nice bracket. How exactly did you modify the master?

Thanks, the bracket is cut from 3/8 aluminum.

The master comes with the bracket going up and down

711.jpg

(sorry about the size of the pic:D )

I lathed off the old bracket, made a new one and then brazed it onto the master cylinder sideways so it would fit into the stock location. I also put the master on with a bit of a downward slope so the pushrod is a straight push.

Attachments

• 711.jpg
    711.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 171
I thinking about the same setup, but I want a hydraulic throw-out bearing. Any thoughts or suggestions? I know some of the companies make this kits too, they just do advertise them.

I have the JMC slave on my T-5, and did a custom M/C using a CNC master and a self-designed quadrant (FFR Cobras use the Fox Pedals).

Do your research, purchase quality, and you'll never regret it. Clutch action smooth as butter. MY Cobra has the King Cobra clutch, and that plus the hydraulic clutch makes it feel like a Toyota when shifting.

One note, I hear nothing nice about the system with the hydrayluc T/O set-up which centers on the trans input shaft.

Thanks a lot guys.

I was worrying about the master cylinder, as it needs to be directly behind the clutch pedal to push the plunger in the master cylinder. Does anybody have any more detailed pics of the master next to the brake booster? and also, does the hanging pedal come with the kit, so I dont have to buy the pedal by itself?

John

The JMC kit does not include a clutch pedal. Go to Dark Horse Performance, JMC, Modern Driveline, Hanlon, or Medatronic for more help piecing together your conversion.

I don't know about a '67-'68 but a '65-'66 requires a bell crank booster to clear the clutch MC. Scott Drake makes one (try Mustang Depot (Las Vegas)) and I believe Master Power Brakes makes one too (try NPD).

To the other poster who mentions the hydraulic throwout bearing, I'm putting one of those, McLeod brand, in a '65 and without going into details I wish I had not. No miles on the setup yet, but a couple bugs have arisen and I've got not a lot of confidence about the future. The whole setup seems bogus. The TO + slave cylinder assembly just sits there on the bearing retainer and the hoses (one for pressure, one for bleeding) just hang there. It seems like the slightest internal friction in the TO bearing and the whole thing's going to start spinning at engine speed. I have my fingers crossed but this really looks like $400 up in smoke.

Keep the info coming, guys. I will need this for the TKO going in the 'vert. Already have the McLeod scattershield, and hydraulics will be needed. For that matter, a clutch recommendation as well. Blown 408W, around 800 crank hp...probably need a multi-disc setup.

At least I don't have to figure the disengagement...or WASTE money on that hydraulic throwout.

I hear that some Big Block headers will get in the way of, and/or burn the clutch cable assemblies.

I am also putting in the McLeod Hydraulic T/O Bearing. The kit I have uses a Willwood 3/4" master cylinder. I am going to make a plate that covers the side of the Lakewood scatter shield and a mounting bracket for the two lines from the T/O bearing.

I need the rod from the master cylinder (it has a threaded rod coming out of it) to the clutch pedal. Anybody got an extra?

We put the JMC kit on a 68 and had nothing but problems getting it adjusted right. Good quality though. My boss has the hyd McLeod T/O on the 65 Cobra. We have had it apart twice and it's a snap to bleed (if needed) and to adjust. WOrks perfectly. Very slick IMO. THat's what I will use on my next project.

Well I had mine installed at JMC and have never had a problem since:) I figured I couldn't go wrong and a weekend in San Diego ain't all that bad!

mtbdoc, get ready for a real pita! The tremec is not an easy install. Everything that is suppose to be bolt on requires some form of modification.

To install it right you need to do tunnel work to get the driveline angle low enough to quell any vibration at high speeds. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! It's fact. Nice install article below...

http://home.austin.rr.com/cobra2914/tremec.htm

Keep the info coming guys! I just bought the kit you mentioned from Mustangs Plus. I have to admit I'm concerned about the install. I saw that Pathfinder used a custom bracket to mount the slave cylinder...did the kit not come with the proper brackets or was there some other reason?

XXBULLETSXX said:
Keep the info coming guys! I just bought the kit you mentioned from Mustangs Plus. I have to admit I'm concerned about the install. I saw that Pathfinder used a custom bracket to mount the slave cylinder...did the kit not come with the proper brackets or was there some other reason?

If you got the JMC kit, then it includes all brackets and hardware needed. I just completed the adjustment of my JMC last night in fact and it has a real nice feel. It is a total PITA to bleed though. To most people, it doesn't make logical sense why it takes so much effort to bleed, but with paitience you will have one fine working and feeling clutch. I went through almost a full quart of fluid bleeding this system. Thought I was done and had good travel on the slave, but had to preload the clutch way too much. Went back and bled it a few more times and it is now throwing the fork the full length, just over 1 inch. Adjustment is now perfect and I think I am going to love it with my new 5 speed.
I have heard mixed things about the Mcleod(sp?) setup. Problems with leaks I believe. Maybe they got that resolved by now, but most in this forum run the JMC kit or build their own using the same components.

XXBULLETSXX said:

If you can do some of your own fabrication the parts needed to basically duplicate the JMC kit is much less $. Not a slam against JMC. I just found I could do it myself and save some bucks.
Besides, as a Canadian what else am I gonna do on those long cold winter nights.

Dave